RTS/CTS flow control on output. - Protocols

This is a discussion on RTS/CTS flow control on output. - Protocols ; Hi everyone, I am running into this issue where sometimes I do not receive all the bytes from other machine during a serial communication. I am currently using ckermit version 8.0.200. Now, when I use my java program to communicate ...

  1. RTS/CTS flow control on output.

    Hi everyone,

    I am running into this issue where sometimes I do not receive all the
    bytes from other machine during a serial communication. I am currently
    using ckermit version 8.0.200. Now, when I use my java program to
    communicate with the same device then everything works fine. All the
    bytes are correctly received. One noticeable change between the java
    and the kermit program is the difference in their respective flow
    control settings. In java, it is set as FLOWCONTROL_RTSCTS_OUT whereas
    in kermit it is set flow rts/cts.

    Is there a way to set only flow control "RTS/CTS out" in kermit. Just
    as an addl info, the comm protocol is set as follows in my kermit
    program.

    set line /dev/ttyS0
    set flow rts/cts
    set carrier-watch off
    set file type binary
    set modem type none
    set speed 19200

    I appreciate your help.

    Ray

  2. Re: RTS/CTS flow control on output.

    In article ,
    icurmt wrote:
    : I am running into this issue where sometimes I do not receive all the
    : bytes from other machine during a serial communication. I am currently
    : using ckermit version 8.0.200.
    :
    It probably won't make a difference, but the current version is 8.0.209:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckermit.html

    : ...Now, when I use my java program to
    : communicate with the same device then everything works fine. All the
    : bytes are correctly received. One noticeable change between the java
    : and the kermit program is the difference in their respective flow
    : control settings. In java, it is set as FLOWCONTROL_RTSCTS_OUT whereas
    : in kermit it is set flow rts/cts.
    :
    : Is there a way to set only flow control "RTS/CTS out" in kermit.
    :
    No. All flow control selections are presumed to be effective in both
    directions.

    : Just
    : as an addl info, the comm protocol is set as follows in my kermit
    : program.
    :
    : set line /dev/ttyS0
    : set flow rts/cts
    : set carrier-watch off
    : set file type binary
    : set modem type none
    : set speed 19200
    :
    I don't see how disabling flow control in the incoming direction would
    prevent loss of incoming bytes.

    - Frank

  3. Re: RTS/CTS flow control on output.

    I tried the latest build but the results were same. Sometimes I do not
    receive all the bytes. Is there any way to resolve this issue..

    Ray

    fdc@sesame.cc.columbia.edu (Frank da Cruz) wrote in message news:...
    > In article ,
    > icurmt wrote:
    > : I am running into this issue where sometimes I do not receive all the
    > : bytes from other machine during a serial communication. I am currently
    > : using ckermit version 8.0.200.
    > :
    > It probably won't make a difference, but the current version is 8.0.209:
    >
    > http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckermit.html
    >
    > : ...Now, when I use my java program to
    > : communicate with the same device then everything works fine. All the
    > : bytes are correctly received. One noticeable change between the java
    > : and the kermit program is the difference in their respective flow
    > : control settings. In java, it is set as FLOWCONTROL_RTSCTS_OUT whereas
    > : in kermit it is set flow rts/cts.
    > :
    > : Is there a way to set only flow control "RTS/CTS out" in kermit.
    > :
    > No. All flow control selections are presumed to be effective in both
    > directions.
    >
    > : Just
    > : as an addl info, the comm protocol is set as follows in my kermit
    > : program.
    > :
    > : set line /dev/ttyS0
    > : set flow rts/cts
    > : set carrier-watch off
    > : set file type binary
    > : set modem type none
    > : set speed 19200
    > :
    > I don't see how disabling flow control in the incoming direction would
    > prevent loss of incoming bytes.
    >
    > - Frank

  4. Re: RTS/CTS flow control on output.

    icurmtdude@yahoo.com (icurmt) wrote in message news:...

    Ray;
    what are you runnung on the machine at the other end?
    Regards...Dan.

    > I tried the latest build but the results were same. Sometimes I do not
    > receive all the bytes. Is there any way to resolve this issue..
    >
    > Ray
    >

    > fdc@sesame.cc.columbia.edu (Frank da Cruz) wrote in message news:...
    > > In article ,
    > > icurmt wrote:
    > > : I am running into this issue where sometimes I do not receive all the
    > > : bytes from other machine during a serial communication. I am currently
    > > : using ckermit version 8.0.200.
    > > :
    > > It probably won't make a difference, but the current version is 8.0.209:
    > >
    > > http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckermit.html
    > >
    > > : ...Now, when I use my java program to
    > > : communicate with the same device then everything works fine. All the
    > > : bytes are correctly received. One noticeable change between the java
    > > : and the kermit program is the difference in their respective flow
    > > : control settings. In java, it is set as FLOWCONTROL_RTSCTS_OUT whereas
    > > : in kermit it is set flow rts/cts.
    > > :
    > > : Is there a way to set only flow control "RTS/CTS out" in kermit.
    > > :
    > > No. All flow control selections are presumed to be effective in both
    > > directions.
    > >
    > > : Just
    > > : as an addl info, the comm protocol is set as follows in my kermit
    > > : program.
    > > :
    > > : set line /dev/ttyS0
    > > : set flow rts/cts
    > > : set carrier-watch off
    > > : set file type binary
    > > : set modem type none
    > > : set speed 19200
    > > :
    > > I don't see how disabling flow control in the incoming direction would
    > > prevent loss of incoming bytes.
    > >
    > > - Frank

+ Reply to Thread