Sometime I leave a modem connection to a remote hpux box active, and
after a while, the modem hangs itself up. Next time I dial, connect will
fail.

I noticed that once a successful connection is made, the remote getty
process is replace by a -ksh with a different process id. If I exit from
the remote shell and come back to the local kermit prompt, the remote
getty program name will come back to replace the name -ksh as a process,
and keep the pid.

At the time I try to connect and fail, the -ksh is never swapped by the
getty program name after the disconnection, as describe by the second
paragraph of this message.

I need some help to understand what is going on.

Jun