dial-command - Protocols

This is a discussion on dial-command - Protocols ; When I use the "dial number", kermit will try atdnumber, instead of atdtnumber. How can I change this behavior? BTW, I can manually do "set modem dial-command atdt%s\{13}, in a kermit session. In the script dialout (downloaded), I added the ...

  1. dial-command

    When I use the "dial number", kermit will try atdnumber, instead of
    atdtnumber. How can I change this behavior? BTW, I can manually do "set
    modem dial-command atdt%s\{13}, in a kermit session. In the script
    dialout (downloaded), I added the line, and it didn't work.

    Jun

  2. Re: dial-command

    In article <3F590E9E.2080706@netscape.net>,
    Jun Zhang wrote:
    : When I use the "dial number", kermit will try atdnumber, instead of
    : atdtnumber. How can I change this behavior?
    :
    Kermit does not know if your telephone connection supports tone dialing,
    so by default it does not specify a dialing method. Most people have
    configured their modems for Tone or Pulse dialing, as appropriate, and
    saved the configuration. Furthermore, if you have never configured your
    modem, its default dialing method is probably Pulse, which works
    everywhere, and therefore Kermit's default is appropriate.

    : BTW, I can manually do "set
    : modem dial-command atdt%s\{13}, in a kermit session. In the script
    : dialout (downloaded), I added the line, and it didn't work.
    :
    The order of commands can make a differnce; I would have to see the
    script to explain this. Also watch out for peculariarities of certain
    modems, such as:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckcbwr.html#x6.6

    For more modem dialing hints and tips, read all of Section 6 of the
    document referenced above.

    Meanwhile, you didn't say which Kermit program or version you have, but
    in general, the commands to set up a call are:

    set modem type
    set port
    set speed 57600 ; or other speed
    set dial method tone
    dial

    If you have Kermit 95 on Windows, the "set modem type" and "set port"
    commands might need to be replaced by:

    set port tapi

    If you wish, you can use the following command (before the DIAL command)
    to watch the dialog between Kermit and the modem:

    set dial display on

    If you have Kermit 95, you can also set all this up in the Dialer GUI
    dialogs, as explained in Help -> Kermit 95 Manual.

    - Frank

+ Reply to Thread