SSH command in C-Kermit - how does it get -l paramater - Protocols

This is a discussion on SSH command in C-Kermit - how does it get -l paramater - Protocols ; Hi, I want to be able to use the SSH command in C-Kermit (8.0.210 Dev.00, 25 Aug 2003, under Solaris 7/SPARC compiled with GCC 3.3) to connect to a few different remote systems where I have accounts with different usernames. ...

  1. SSH command in C-Kermit - how does it get -l paramater

    Hi, I want to be able to use the SSH command in C-Kermit (8.0.210
    Dev.00, 25 Aug 2003, under Solaris 7/SPARC compiled with GCC 3.3) to
    connect to a few different remote systems where I have accounts with
    different usernames.

    I could do

    ssh -l differentusername hostname

    each time

    but wonder why when I do:

    set telnet env user differentusername

    then

    ssh hostname

    C-Kermit does:

    Connecting via command "ssh -e none -l amarsh hostname"

    I would have thought that the argument to the -l parameter would be the
    current value of \v(userid), which is set by the set telnet env user
    command. How does C-Kermit get the value for the -l parameter of the SSH
    command?

    Under K95 2.1.4, if I set telnet env differentusername then ssh
    hostname, I get prompted for differentusername's password as expected.

    Another oddity under C-Kermit is that if I attempt an SSH login which
    fails and returns to the C-Kermit prompt, then type Connect, I get:

    DNS Lookup... Can't get address for ssh -e none -l username host

    Upon issuing the Connect command in K95, I get the SSH password prompt
    as expected.

    I realise that SSH is an external command in C-Kermit and built-in to
    K95, but think it should be possible for the C-Kermit version to behave
    more closely like the K95 version in the two cases above.

    Regards,

    Arthur.

  2. dns lookup works for k95, fails for c-kermit

    in comp.protocols.kermit.misc i read:

    >DNS Lookup... Can't get address for ssh -e none -l username host
    >
    >Upon issuing the Connect command in K95, I get the SSH password prompt
    >as expected.

    the hostname isn't available via the mechanisms configured on that system,
    perhaps it's a private name which is in the win32 system's hosts file but
    not also in the solaris system's.

    --
    a signature

  3. Re: SSH command in C-Kermit - how does it get -l paramater

    Arthur:

    C-Kermit could absolutely do a better job of intergrating with OpenSSH.
    All that needs to be done is for someone to spend the time to write the
    code or donate the money for someone else to be paid to write the code.

    Jeffrey Altman
    Former Kermit Developer

    In article <3f4e97b6$1@yorrell.saard.net>,
    Arthur Marsh wrote:
    : Hi, I want to be able to use the SSH command in C-Kermit (8.0.210
    : Dev.00, 25 Aug 2003, under Solaris 7/SPARC compiled with GCC 3.3) to
    : connect to a few different remote systems where I have accounts with
    : different usernames.
    :
    : I could do
    :
[...]

    Jeffrey Altman * Volunteer Developer Kermit 95 2.1 GUI available now!!!
    The Kermit Project @ Columbia University SSH, Secure Telnet, Secure FTP, HTTP
    http://www.kermit-project.org/ Secured with MIT Kerberos, SRP, and
    kermit-support@columbia.edu OpenSSL.

  4. Re: dns lookup works for k95, fails for c-kermit

    those who know me have no need of my name wrote:

    > in comp.protocols.kermit.misc i read:
    >

    >>DNS Lookup... Can't get address for ssh -e none -l username host
    >>
    >>Upon issuing the Connect command in K95, I get the SSH password prompt
    >>as expected.

    > the hostname isn't available via the mechanisms configured on that system,
    > perhaps it's a private name which is in the win32 system's hosts file but
    > not also in the solaris system's.

    What's actually happening is that the "Connect" command tries to do a
    DNS lookup on "ssh -e none -l username host" rather than a DNS lookup on
    "host".

    Regards,

    Arthur.

  5. Re: dns lookup works for k95, fails for c-kermit

    In article <3f4ede95$1@yorrell.saard.net>,
    Arthur Marsh wrote:
    : those who know me have no need of my name wrote:
    :
    : What's actually happening is that the "Connect" command tries to do a
    : DNS lookup on "ssh -e none -l username host" rather than a DNS lookup on
    : "host".
    :
    : Regards,
    :
    : Arthur.

    What is actually happening is

    * the original SSH command failed, therefore the SET NETWORK TYPE
    never switched from TCP/IP to PTY

    * When you issue the CONNECT command, the TCP/IP network type code
    attempts to process the last hostname string left in the command
    buffer. Unfortunately this was overwritten with the string to
    be executed in the PTY code.

    The bug is that the SSH command is not setting the network type if
    the command does not succeed.

    Jeffrey Altman
    Former Kermit Developer

    --
    Jeffrey Altman * Volunteer Developer Kermit 95 2.1 GUI available now!!!
    The Kermit Project @ Columbia University SSH, Secure Telnet, Secure FTP, HTTP
    http://www.kermit-project.org/ Secured with MIT Kerberos, SRP, and
    kermit-support@columbia.edu OpenSSL.

+ Reply to Thread