Kermit for PC upgrade/transfer - Protocols

This is a discussion on Kermit for PC upgrade/transfer - Protocols ; I've gone through the Kermit website (wow, lots of stuff!) and am considering getting Kermit to transfer files to my new PC. I have a couple of questions, though. The old PC is Windows 95B, and the new one is ...

  1. Kermit for PC upgrade/transfer

    I've gone through the Kermit website (wow, lots of stuff!) and am
    considering getting Kermit to transfer files to my new PC. I have a
    couple of questions, though.

    The old PC is Windows 95B, and the new one is Windows XP Pro. Each PC
    has a 56K modem. Can I connect the two via a simple 6-ft phone line
    between the two modems for this transfer?

    Would it be better to get a serial-serial null modem cable and go that
    route?

    Basically, I'm transferring pretty standard stuff. I.e., My Documents,
    my Outlook Express messages & address book, some misc data files. Can
    I zip them up and use a binary transfer to speed things up?

    Since two machines are involved, does that mean I have to buy two
    copies of the product?

    Thanks.

    Sincerely,
    Brad Vincent
    Warren, Michigan

  2. Re: Kermit for PC upgrade/transfer

    :
    : The old PC is Windows 95B, and the new one is Windows XP Pro. Each PC
    : has a 56K modem. Can I connect the two via a simple 6-ft phone line
    : between the two modems for this transfer?
    :
    You can do that but it's a bit tricky -- you have to configure the modems
    to "dial" a null phone number when there is no dialtone.

    : Would it be better to get a serial-serial null modem cable and go that
    : route?
    :
    It probably would be better, but only if each PC has a real serial port,
    i.e. a 16550A UART or better.

    : Basically, I'm transferring pretty standard stuff. I.e., My Documents,
    : my Outlook Express messages & address book, some misc data files. Can
    : I zip them up and use a binary transfer to speed things up?
    :
    Sure.

    : Since two machines are involved, does that mean I have to buy two
    : copies of the product?
    :
    That's what the license says, but if you're retiring the old PC, I don't
    think the license police would come crashing through your front door if
    you had the same copy installed on both PCs temporarily.

    - Frank

  3. Re: Kermit for PC upgrade/transfer

    Brad in MI wrote:
    > I've gone through the Kermit website (wow, lots of stuff!) and am
    > considering getting Kermit to transfer files to my new PC. I have a
    > couple of questions, though.

    > The old PC is Windows 95B, and the new one is Windows XP Pro. Each PC
    > has a 56K modem. Can I connect the two via a simple 6-ft phone line
    > between the two modems for this transfer?

    As much as I love Kermit, this really isn't the right application for it.
    For the cost of a Windows95 license, you could buy two NIC cards and a
    crossover cable, and use Windows file sharing to copy all the files.

    Or you could take the disk out of the old machine and put it in the new
    machine and copy everything.

    Or you could buy a software/hardware product designed for just exactly this
    purpose, that includes a cable (serial, parallel, or USB).

    Here's one that is receommeded by HP. They include a link on the desktop
    when you install a Windows XP computer:
    http://www.detto.com/products/index.html

  4. Re: Kermit for PC upgrade/transfer

    If you have a null modem cable, you can use, but don't need kermit.
    You must google a little bit to figure out how to configure PPP on both
    sides not to dial out and then you can use file sharing as via network
    cards.

    Done that few year back, so I know it works.

    el
    --
    Dr. Eberhard Lisse
    Obstetrician and Gynaecologist, Oshakati, Namibia

+ Reply to Thread