Autostart of Kermit? - Protocols

This is a discussion on Autostart of Kermit? - Protocols ; Is there a way to get Kermit running at machine bootup on 2000 pro? I can't see how to do it unless someone logs on. Would it have to run as a service?...

  1. Autostart of Kermit?

    Is there a way to get Kermit running at machine bootup on 2000 pro? I
    can't see how to do it unless someone logs on. Would it have to run as
    a service?

  2. Re: Autostart of Kermit?

    In article ,
    dgk wrote:
    : Is there a way to get Kermit running at machine bootup on 2000 pro? I
    : can't see how to do it unless someone logs on. Would it have to run as
    : a service?
    :
    Perhaps what you are really looking for is Windows Internet Kermit Service?

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/wiksd.html

    If not, then please be more specific about why you want Kermit to be
    started at boot time, without being associated with a user, and what you
    want it to do, and where its commands should come from.

    - Frank

  3. Re: Autostart of Kermit?

    On 12 Aug 2003 09:20:20 -0400, fdc@columbia.edu (Frank da Cruz) wrote:

    >In article ,
    >dgk wrote:
    >: Is there a way to get Kermit running at machine bootup on 2000 pro? I
    >: can't see how to do it unless someone logs on. Would it have to run as
    >: a service?
    >:
    >Perhaps what you are really looking for is Windows Internet Kermit Service?
    >
    > http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/wiksd.html
    >
    >If not, then please be more specific about why you want Kermit to be
    >started at boot time, without being associated with a user, and what you
    >want it to do, and where its commands should come from.
    >
    >- Frank

    We have an application written in K95, started by the command line:
    "C:\K95\K95.EXE MM0.KSC". It answers the phone, gets an ID and
    Password, and has a short dialog that sends and receives files. Very
    basic stuff. In fact, the id and passwords are just hardcoded into the
    script, it doesn't even use a database.

    We would like it to start up with the booting of the machine rather
    than have to be started manually. It sure sounds like we want the
    windows service product. Would that be able to use the existing
    scripts?

  4. Re: Autostart of Kermit?

    : >:
    : >Perhaps what you are really looking for is Windows Internet Kermit Service?
    : >
    : > http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/wiksd.html
    :
    : We have an application written in K95, started by the command line:
    : "C:\K95\K95.EXE MM0.KSC". It answers the phone, gets an ID and
    : Password, and has a short dialog that sends and receives files. Very
    : basic stuff. In fact, the id and passwords are just hardcoded into the
    : script, it doesn't even use a database.
    :
    : We would like it to start up with the booting of the machine rather
    : than have to be started manually. It sure sounds like we want the
    : windows service product. Would that be able to use the existing
    : scripts?
    :
    No. As the above-referenced web page states, WIKSD is only for incoming
    Internet connections.

    I believe you can use the SRVANY utility to set up your script as a service.
    But you have to be careful about about access, authentication, and
    permissions.

    http://www.winnetmag.com/Articles/In...ArticleID=7959

    There might also be issues regarding the program's input and output, and
    what happens a connection hangs up. See the documentation of command-line
    options for ways around such problems (esp. the -# option). There might
    also be consequences for picking the GUI versus the Console version.

    As an alternative, you might consider K95 Host Mode, which already does
    pretty much what you describe. See the Host Mode documentation in the
    Kermit 95 manual.

    - Frank

+ Reply to Thread