Is this possible - Protocols

This is a discussion on Is this possible - Protocols ; Hello - My question is whether kermit scripts could handle the following scenario. I've done a few simple scripts but this would entail dialing up into a network, connecting with one user/password for Unix network, and then ftp'ing to a ...

  1. Is this possible

    Hello -

    My question is whether kermit scripts could handle the following scenario.
    I've done a few simple scripts but this would entail dialing up into a
    network, connecting with one user/password for Unix network, and then
    ftp'ing to a Windows machine as another user/password.

    My end user is a retail store, "the client", and is running SCO Unix. It
    uses a kermit script to dialup into a "private" network ( ie: the corporate
    network) at the end of the day. It connects to the corporate network with
    its corporate userid & password.

    Upon connection, it then ftps a file to an NT./XP Windows box hanging off
    of the network. The ftp connection on the Windows box will be a different
    userid & password then the Unix login. ( I'm developing software for this
    NT machine to process this end of the day file from the retail client.)

    1) Can I script connection with 1 login userid & then FTP to a machine as
    another userid?

    2) The other wrinkle is that the client does not have a 'proper' IP
    address. Most likely it will be 192.168.1.1 - the IP address handed to the
    machine from the router. Will this at all prevent the machine from doing
    an FTP to the Windows box? I would think it would need a valid IP address
    to do an FTP session.

    Thanks,
    bruce radtke

  2. Re: Is this possible

    :
    : My end user is a retail store, "the client", and is running SCO Unix. It
    : uses a kermit script to dialup into a "private" network ( ie: the corporate
    : network) at the end of the day. It connects to the corporate network with
    : its corporate userid & password.
    :
    : Upon connection, it then ftps a file to an NT./XP Windows box hanging off
    : of the network. The ftp connection on the Windows box will be a different
    : userid & password then the Unix login. ( I'm developing software for this
    : NT machine to process this end of the day file from the retail client.)
    :
    : 1) Can I script connection with 1 login userid & then FTP to a machine as
    : another userid?
    :
    You've already scripted the login to the first machine. At this point you
    the script can automate starting the FTP client on Unix, making the connection
    to NT, and transferrring files. As far as the Kermit script is concerned,
    it's just text -- INPUT this, OUTPUT that.

    : 2) The other wrinkle is that the client does not have a 'proper' IP
    : address. Most likely it will be 192.168.1.1 - the IP address handed to the
    : machine from the router. Will this at all prevent the machine from doing
    : an FTP to the Windows box? I would think it would need a valid IP address
    : to do an FTP session.
    :
    If you can do it by hand, you can script it. See:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckscripts.html#tut

    - Frank

+ Reply to Thread