Word Perfect Keyboard (Frank) - Protocols

This is a discussion on Word Perfect Keyboard (Frank) - Protocols ; Clueless! Well I am still attempting to help a Medical Transcriber change her connection with Kermit to a UNIX server. I thought she had made it work but she wasn't that lucky and the System Person said the old version ...

  1. Word Perfect Keyboard (Frank)

    Clueless!

    Well I am still attempting to help a Medical Transcriber change her
    connection with Kermit to a UNIX server. I thought she had made it
    work but she wasn't that lucky and the System Person said the old
    version of ProComm was the only one that would work.

    Anyhow today I tried to log in and got to the terminal screen after
    typing in the set terminal keyboard-mode wp, and as you advised
    checked the terminal type on the terminal page and there is no
    vt320-w! There isn't even an option in the scroll box. I don't think
    the set command is working (or I am putting it in the wrong screen!).

    I have also looked through the .ini files and they seem to be similar
    enough to do the simple things she needs to do (file retrieval and the
    upload of her work).

    I refuse to believe that the ancient version of ProComm is the only
    thing that will work! I really thought that it was out of production
    but Symatic still sells a version.

    She and I both are working from a template and maybe there are more
    options working from scratch?

    Any additional thought?

    Thanks

    Bill
    Atlanta

  2. Re: Word Perfect Keyboard (Frank)

    :
    : Anyhow today I tried to log in and got to the terminal screen after
    : typing in the set terminal keyboard-mode wp, and as you advised
    : checked the terminal type on the terminal page and there is no
    : vt320-w! There isn't even an option in the scroll box. I don't think
    : the set command is working (or I am putting it in the wrong screen!).
    :
    VT320-W would not appear in the scroll box; it's not a terminal type,
    it's a keyboard mode applied to a terminal type.

    : I have also looked through the .ini files and they seem to be similar
    : enough to do the simple things she needs to do (file retrieval and the
    : upload of her work).
    :
    : I refuse to believe that the ancient version of ProComm is the only
    : thing that will work!
    :
    Me too. Let's try again, step by step. Let's assume you have a connection
    to the host, and have started WordPerfect on the host. K95 is in its
    terminal screen (normally blue, but could be any color). On the bottom
    of the screen (inside the frame) is a green line with white writing, called
    the Status Line, that says:

    o o o o VT320 Help: Alt-H Command: Alt-X (etc etc).

    At this point do:

    . Alt-x (i.e. hold down the Alt key and press the X key)

    . At the K-95> prompt, type the following command:

    set terminal keyboard-mode wp

    . Alt-x again to get back to the terminal screen.

    Now the Status Line should say:

    o o o o VT320-W Help: Alt-H Command: Alt-X (etc etc).

    and the WordPerfect Key mappings should be in effect.

    To return to the regular VT320 key mapping, do:

    . Alt-x (i.e. hold down the Alt key and press the X key)

    . At the K-95> prompt, type the following command:

    set terminal keyboard-mode normal

    . Alt-x again to get back to the terminal screen.

    and the "VT320-W" in the status line should revert to "VT320".

    There *should* be an easier way to do this:

    Ctrl-Alt-Shift-W

    is supposed to toggle in and out of WordPerfect keyboard mode. But
    for some unknown reason this does not seem to work on all PCs.

    If these instructions do not cause "VT320-W" to appear in Kermit's
    status line, send e-mail to kermit-support@columbia.edu, and we'll
    do the detailed troubleshooting.

    By the way, when you first posted this question you said you had
    the "latest kermit", and I assumed by that you meant you had
    Kermit 95 2.1.3. If that's not the case and you are talking about
    (e.g.) MS-DOS Kermit, then please say so.

    - Frank

  3. Re: Word Perfect Keyboard (Frank)

    On 28 Jul 2003 10:06:44 -0400, fdc@columbia.edu (Frank da Cruz) wrote:

    >In article ,
    > wrote:
    >: Frank da Cruz wrote:
    >: > In article <00q6ivkjdn6f8mad9ou0pi95gk273d343a@4ax.com>,
    >: > Bill wrote:
    >: > : I refuse to believe that the ancient version of ProComm is the only
    >: > : thing that will work!
    >:
    >: > Me too. Let's try again, step by step. Let's assume you have a connection
    >:
    >: I wanted to wait for Frank to respond first, with a K95 entry that was more
    >: graceful than my setup.
    >:
    >K95's WordPerfect keyboard mode is built-in. You can see what the default
    >mappings in the Default.Ksc file, which is in your Kermit 95 directory tree
    >somewhere; there's also a copy here:
    >
    > ftp://kermit.columbia.edu/kermit/k95/default.ksc
    >
    >Search for "SET TERMINAL KEY wp" and then read the next 146 lines. Of
    >course you can change the mapping any way you like.
    >
    >: I made my own mapping for WordPerfect and MSDOS Kermit-3.11 to a
    >: UnixWare box. I was also faced with another Unix (ESIX) system that
    >: came with bundled software and a fixed terminal type of vt100-pro,
    >: with some mangling to fit the Procomm-of-the-day mapping.
    >:
    >: By capturing what procomm sent to the unix system for each F key, I
    >: was able to build my own map of what Kermit needed to send. I probably
    >: still have that lying around somewhere.
    >:
    >: I looked at the Wordperfect mapping that was on the kermit site at that
    >: time, and chose not to use it, although I don't recall why.
    >:
    >It should have been just the ticket since these mappings were provided by
    >WordPerfect themselves. K95 used this map as a model for its WP keyboard
    >mode.
    >
    >- Frank

    I have used FinePrint to print out the whole manual, and found the WP
    section. If the old mapping file is found it may be worth posting at
    Kemit. I expect that the Transcribers will all hit this at some
    point(?). Especially when the old version of ProComm(s) flake out.
    Pretty sure it will not run in XP and I haven't tried it on my Win2K
    machine.

    Thanks

    Bill
    (BTW the existing WP emulation works well enough to make corrections
    to the server copy, and apparently they mostly work on WP locally and
    then up-load the files. Kermit up-loads fine as is......)

  4. Re: Word Perfect Keyboard (Frank)

    In article <3a3hivophckesp3qko7bm90q1bobfgn8jk@4ax.com>,
    Bill wrote:
    : I have used FinePrint to print out the whole manual, and found the WP
    : section. If the old mapping file is found it may be worth posting at
    : Kemit. I expect that the Transcribers will all hit this at some
    : point(?). Especially when the old version of ProComm(s) flake out.
    : Pretty sure it will not run in XP and I haven't tried it on my Win2K
    : machine.
    :
    Why don't you post what you think the mapping should be and then we
    can compare it with what Kermit uses, and then we'll know why you think
    there is a problem. Remember: Kermit's mapping is the one recommended
    by the WordPerfect company itself.

    Anyway, you still haven't confirmed that you have actually activated
    Kermit's WordPerfect keyboard mode. I explained several times how to
    to do this.

    - Frank

+ Reply to Thread