Kermit sending problem - Protocols

This is a discussion on Kermit sending problem - Protocols ; Any ideas on the following error message: SEND-class command failed. Packets sent: 0 Retransmissions: 0 Timeouts: 0 Damaged packets: 0 Transfer canceled by receiver. Receiver's message: "Write access denied" Most recent local OS error: "Invalid argument" I am connecting via ...

  1. Kermit sending problem

    Any ideas on the following error message:

    SEND-class command failed.
    Packets sent: 0
    Retransmissions: 0
    Timeouts: 0
    Damaged packets: 0
    Transfer canceled by receiver.
    Receiver's message: "Write access denied"
    Most recent local OS error: "Invalid argument"

    I am connecting via tcpip across the internet. I can do a rem dir of the remote
    PC, and Get files OK. I only get an error when sending. I can rem cd to a
    different drive entirely (a memory stick) and still get the error. I disabled
    the antivir on the remote PC. The above happens no matter what file I send or
    what dir I am in, and ROBUST doesn't help at all.

    thanks
    -Rob
    robatwork at mail dot com

  2. Re: Kermit sending problem

    On Sep 5, 5:15*am, Rob S
    wrote:
    > Any ideas on the following error message:
    >
    > SEND-class command failed.
    > *Packets sent: 0
    > *Retransmissions: 0
    > *Timeouts: 0
    > *Damaged packets: 0
    > *Transfer canceled by receiver.
    > *Receiver's message: "Write access denied"

    The above message is the problem.

    > *Most recent local OS error: "Invalid argument" * * *
    >
    > I am connecting via tcpip across the internet. I can do a rem dir of the remote
    > PC, and Get files OK. I only get an error when sending. I can rem cd to a
    > different drive entirely (a memory stick) and still get the error. I disabled
    > the antivir on the remote PC. The above happens no matter what file I send or
    > what dir I am in, and ROBUST doesn't help at all.

    What is the Kermit on the receiving PC?

    How are you connecting to it? I.e., do you log in to the remote PC and
    start Kermit? Do you connect to a running Kermit via "set host"? Do
    you rely on the protocol to start the remote Kermit?

    Depending on the Kermit and its settings, it may always try to store
    received files in a particular directory which may not be the current
    directory.

    --
    (for email use this address please - you can figure it out)

    Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro net Any clod can have the facts;
    San Francisco Bay Area, California having opinions is an art. -
    C. McCabe, The Fearless
    Spectator

  3. Re: Kermit sending problem

    On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 16:42:23 -0700 (PDT), Mark Sapiro
    wrote:

    -
    -
    -What is the Kermit on the receiving PC?
    -
    -How are you connecting to it? I.e., do you log in to the remote PC and
    -start Kermit? Do you connect to a running Kermit via "set host"? Do
    -you rely on the protocol to start the remote Kermit?
    -
    -Depending on the Kermit and its settings, it may always try to store
    -received files in a particular directory which may not be the current
    -directory.

    This turned out to be something very peculiar in windows on the host. If I moved
    the kermit folder from C:\aaa\kermit to C:\kermit it all worked fine. Putting it
    back in aaa and it failed. The workaround was (I was starting kermit from a
    shortcut to a batch file in the form kermit cmdfile,) to start the "normal"
    batch file from another batch file with another shortcut. Note the normal batch
    file works on other PCs OK.

    I spent a couple of hours on it and didn't have more time to spend, but my guess
    is some underlying problem on the pc's windows installation and the way it
    handled the DOS 16 bit subsystem. I am sure a reload of windows would have fixed
    it, but that wasn't a practical option in this case...

    thanks for the suggestions
    -Rob
    robatwork at mail dot com

  4. Re: Kermit sending problem

    : wrote:
    : -What is the Kermit on the receiving PC?
    :
    You didn't answer this question.

    : This turned out to be something very peculiar in windows on the host. If I
    : moved the kermit folder from C:\aaa\kermit to C:\kermit it all worked
    : fine. Putting it back in aaa and it failed. The workaround was (I was
    : starting kermit from a shortcut to a batch file in the form kermit cmdfile,)
    : to start the "normal" batch file from another batch file with another
    : shortcut. Note the normal batch file works on other PCs OK.
    :
    : I spent a couple of hours on it and didn't have more time to spend, but my
    : guess is some underlying problem on the pc's windows installation and the
    : way it handled the DOS 16 bit subsystem. I am sure a reload of windows would
    : have fixed it, but that wasn't a practical option in this case...
    :
    When you say "DOS 16 bit subsystem" that leads me to suspect that you are
    using MS-DOS Kermit on the Windows end. See:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/msk95.html

    ...or that you are using Kermit 95 (as you should be) but are under the
    mistaken impression that it is a DOS program. Here is the Kermit 95 page:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/k95.html

    In any case, I would suspect the problem is the permissions on the
    different directories on that PC, but you didn't mention which Windows OS
    you have.

    - Frank

+ Reply to Thread