Delayed response from remote Kermit - Protocols

This is a discussion on Delayed response from remote Kermit - Protocols ; I'm using Kermit 95 v2.1.3 to run a terminal connection to a RSTS computer (the OS is genuine DEC, though it's running on a PC with an emulator, not PDP-11 hardware). On the RSTS computer, I'm running Kermit-11 (I have ...

  1. Delayed response from remote Kermit

    I'm using Kermit 95 v2.1.3 to run a terminal connection to a RSTS
    computer (the OS is genuine DEC, though it's running on a PC with an
    emulator, not PDP-11 hardware). On the RSTS computer, I'm running
    Kermit-11 (I have versions X3.60 and X4.64 available) for file transfers.

    I just upgraded to a new desktop computer running Vista Business
    (previously I was on XP Pro), and now most times when I give a command
    that requires a response from the remote Kermit (such as Finish or GET),
    it takes about 8 seconds before I get a command prompt back, instead
    of the 1-2 seconds previously (i.e., on my XP computer). The results are
    the same with both RSTS versions of Kermit. Any ideas on what's causing
    the delay and how to correct it?

    Kelvin Smith
    Bethlehem, PA
    (remove 1111 for email)

  2. Re: Delayed response from remote Kermit

    On 2008-05-12, Kelvin Smith wrote:
    : I'm using Kermit 95 v2.1.3 to run a terminal connection to a RSTS
    : computer (the OS is genuine DEC, though it's running on a PC with an
    : emulator, not PDP-11 hardware). On the RSTS computer, I'm running
    : Kermit-11 (I have versions X3.60 and X4.64 available) for file transfers.
    :
    OK...

    : I just upgraded to a new desktop computer running Vista Business
    : (previously I was on XP Pro), and now most times when I give a command
    : that requires a response from the remote Kermit (such as Finish or GET),
    : it takes about 8 seconds before I get a command prompt back, instead
    : of the 1-2 seconds previously (i.e., on my XP computer). The results are
    : the same with both RSTS versions of Kermit. Any ideas on what's causing
    : the delay and how to correct it?
    :
    And you have Kermit 95, correct? And Kermit 95 is running on the same
    PC as the PDP-11 emulator? In that case, it possible that either one or
    both were affected by the upgrade to Vista. If they are on separate PCs
    then clearly the problem is isolated to the new one.

    How is the connection being made? Is it a null modem cable, or some kind
    of "virtual" Windows serial port that is linked to the emulator's DH11 or
    whatever?

    Anyway, you can tell Kermit 95 to:

    set debug timestamps on
    log debug

    and then send (say) a FINISH command. The log will show where the pause
    happened and that will be a clue.

    : Kelvin Smith
    : Bethlehem, PA
    : (remove 1111 for email)

    - Frank

  3. Re: Delayed response from remote Kermit

    My goodness. How does one make sense of the debug information? In less
    than two minutes, I generated over 19000 lines. I actually was able to
    capture a Finish command that responded quickly, plus a second that
    responded slowly, so in theory the information we need is there, but I
    don't know how to ferret out what's going on.

    Physical setup: Kermit 95 is on one PC, the PDP-11 emulator is on
    another. They're connected by a null modem running between the COM
    ports. It should be noted that the Kermit 95 machine is using a USB to
    COM adapter.

    Kelvin Smith
    Bethlehem, PA
    (remove 1111 for email)

    Frank da Cruz wrote:
    > On 2008-05-12, Kelvin Smith wrote:
    > : I'm using Kermit 95 v2.1.3 to run a terminal connection to a RSTS
    > : computer (the OS is genuine DEC, though it's running on a PC with an
    > : emulator, not PDP-11 hardware). On the RSTS computer, I'm running
    > : Kermit-11 (I have versions X3.60 and X4.64 available) for file transfers.
    > :
    > OK...
    >
    > : I just upgraded to a new desktop computer running Vista Business
    > : (previously I was on XP Pro), and now most times when I give a command
    > : that requires a response from the remote Kermit (such as Finish or GET),
    > : it takes about 8 seconds before I get a command prompt back, instead
    > : of the 1-2 seconds previously (i.e., on my XP computer). The results are
    > : the same with both RSTS versions of Kermit. Any ideas on what's causing
    > : the delay and how to correct it?
    > :
    > And you have Kermit 95, correct? And Kermit 95 is running on the same
    > PC as the PDP-11 emulator? In that case, it possible that either one or
    > both were affected by the upgrade to Vista. If they are on separate PCs
    > then clearly the problem is isolated to the new one.
    >
    > How is the connection being made? Is it a null modem cable, or some kind
    > of "virtual" Windows serial port that is linked to the emulator's DH11 or
    > whatever?
    >
    > Anyway, you can tell Kermit 95 to:
    >
    > set debug timestamps on
    > log debug
    >
    > and then send (say) a FINISH command. The log will show where the pause
    > happened and that will be a clue.
    >
    > : Kelvin Smith
    > : Bethlehem, PA
    > : (remove 1111 for email)
    >
    > - Frank

  4. Re: Delayed response from remote Kermit

    On 2008-05-13, Kelvin Smith wrote:
    : My goodness. How does one make sense of the debug information? In less
    : than two minutes, I generated over 19000 lines. I actually was able to
    : capture a Finish command that responded quickly, plus a second that
    : responded slowly, so in theory the information we need is there, but I
    : don't know how to ferret out what's going on.
    :
    : Physical setup: Kermit 95 is on one PC, the PDP-11 emulator is on
    : another. They're connected by a null modem running between the COM
    : ports. It should be noted that the Kermit 95 machine is using a USB to
    : COM adapter.
    :
    You can send me the debug log if you like. I'd look for the place where
    there is a long separation between two timestamps and see what was the
    last thing that happened before the delay occurred.

    - Frank

+ Reply to Thread