Kermit with cell phone - Protocols

This is a discussion on Kermit with cell phone - Protocols ; Here is a question that came in today that I might be too old to answer :-) > I went through all of the "frequently asked " questions listed under > "Support" on your website and did not find a ...

  1. Kermit with cell phone

    Here is a question that came in today that I might be too old to answer :-)

    > I went through all of the "frequently asked " questions listed under
    > "Support" on your website and did not find a question or reference to my
    > concern.
    >
    > The question. Is there any support in Kermit for dial up connection from
    > a notebook (Windows 2000), through a cell phone, to a unix box (SCO Open
    > Server) for trouble shooting applications?
    >
    > I can now connect through land lines but when I am on the road I need a
    > facility that allows me to use a cell phone, usb (if necessary) and any
    > features of Windows 2000, to connect to the unix box wirelessly.

    It's up to the maker of your cell phone and/or your ISP. Kermit can make
    serial port, modem, and text-mode Internet connections (such as Telnet,
    SSH, rlogin, ftp, etc).

    I don't have direct experience with this, but it appears that some cell
    phones can act as modems. Here are some web pages that talk about it:

    http://lifehacker.com/software/cell-...dem-175048.php

    http://www.engadget.com/2005/01/18/h...s-a-usb-modem/

    These and other pages talk about how to get on the Internet with Dial-Up
    Networking (DUN) using a cell phone. I didn't see a page that talks about
    how to make a traditional computer-to-computer call with that same modem,
    but it seems to me that if you can do one, you can do the other. Once you
    have a modem driver installed for the cell phone, you should be able to use
    it like any other modem that you would call you SCO box with.

    But that's pure speculation. It's interesting, however, and I'd like to
    hear about your experience.

    Also I'm going to post this to the comp.protocols.kermit.misc newsgroup
    (without your name or email) in case anybody there can shed some light.

    - Frank

  2. Re: Kermit with cell phone

    Frank da Cruz wrote:
    > Here is a question that came in today that I might be too old to answer :-)
    >>
    >> The question. Is there any support in Kermit for dial up connection from
    >> a notebook (Windows 2000), through a cell phone, to a unix box (SCO Open
    >> Server) for trouble shooting applications?

    You have lots of options:

    Configure the notebook for dial on demand, then run Kermit

    Manually dial, then run Kermit

    Install a Kermit capable terminal emulator package. (I think TeraTerm
    and PUTTY both do this. I am not sure about the current version of
    Hyperterminal.)

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley,
    393 Quinton Road West,

  3. Re: Kermit with cell phone

    Frank da Cruz wrote:
    > > The question. Is there any support in Kermit for dial up connection from
    > > a notebook (Windows 2000), through a cell phone, to a unix box (SCO Open
    > > Server) for trouble shooting applications?

    > It's up to the maker of your cell phone and/or your ISP.

    Mostly, it's up to the ISP. In the US, they say no. Some people still
    have a feature called CSD where they can connect via cellphone to a modem
    in the Central Office. It's just not offered any more.