Re: Copy folders / data from older server - Protocols

This is a discussion on Re: Copy folders / data from older server - Protocols ; On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 12:28:26 -0800, smlunatick wrote: > I need to transfer several folders, sub-folders and files from a failing > SCO server over to a new Red Hat server. Unfortunately, the DAT 72 > drive does not ...

  1. Re: Copy folders / data from older server

    On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 12:28:26 -0800, smlunatick wrote:

    > I need to transfer several folders, sub-folders and files from a failing
    > SCO server over to a new Red Hat server. Unfortunately, the DAT 72
    > drive does not seem to like the older DAT 2 cartridge so reading off a
    > type "seems" to be out. I have tried with ftb but it does not seem to
    > create the folders "on the fly" as the files transfer.
    >
    > What can I look at?

    I would use c-kermit to do this. There are binaries and source for both
    systems available from The Kermit Project at Columbia University.

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/

    While c-kermit is "free" to download and use I recommend buying the
    manual for it as that is how the project supports itself. If you want to
    follow-up with folks that know more about c-kermit then subscribe to the
    comp.protocols.kermit.misc newsgroup. I have added that group to this
    reply.

    Gene (e-mail: gene \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)
    Got Rute? http://www.anrdoezrs.net/email-25465...sbn=0130333514
    ERA Computers & Consulting - http://www.eracc.com/
    Preloaded PCs - eComStation, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenServer & UnixWare

  2. Re: Copy folders / data from older server

    On Mar 1, 1:31*pm, ERACC wrote:
    > On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 12:28:26 -0800, smlunatick wrote:
    > > I need to transfer several folders, sub-folders and files from a failing
    > > SCO server over to a new Red Hat server. *Unfortunately, the DAT 72
    > > drive does not seem to like the older DAT 2 cartridge so reading off a
    > > type "seems" to be out. *I have tried with ftb but it does not seem to
    > > create the folders "on the fly" as the files transfer.

    > > What can I look at?

    > I would use c-kermit to do this. There are binaries and source for both
    > systems available from The Kermit Project at Columbia University.
    >
    > http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/
    >
    > While c-kermit is "free" to download and use I recommend buying the
    > manual for it as that is how the project supports itself. If you want to
    > follow-up with folks that know more about c-kermit then subscribe to the
    > comp.protocols.kermit.misc newsgroup. I have added that group to this
    > reply.
    >
    > Gene (e-mail: gene \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)
    > --
    > Mandriva Linux release 2007.1 (Official) for i586
    > Got Rute?http://www.anrdoezrs.net/email-25465...sbn=0130333514
    > ERA Computers & Consulting -http://www.eracc.com/
    > Preloaded PCs - eComStation, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenServer & UnixWare

    Tried kermit but will not purchase the manual. This is a "one-shot"
    deal so I will not ba using the kermit after this transfer.

    Kermit does not do what I am looking for

  3. Re: Copy folders / data from older server

    In comp.protocols.kermit.misc smlunatick wrote:
    > Tried kermit but will not purchase the manual. This is a "one-shot"
    > deal so I will not ba using the kermit after this transfer.

    I used kermit to do full hierarchy copies from one Unix system to another
    every night for years. Maybe we misunderstand your need.

  4. Re: Copy folders / data from older server

    On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 08:27:40 -0800, smlunatick wrote:

    > On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 12:28:26 -0800, smlunatick wrote:
    > > I need to transfer several folders, sub-folders and files from a
    > > failing SCO server over to a new Red Hat server. *[...]

    [...]
    > Tried kermit but will not purchase the manual. This is a "one-shot"
    > deal so I will not ba using the kermit after this transfer. Kermit does
    > not do what I am looking for

    The c-kermit *I* use from Columbia University *will* copy entire trees
    from one system to another over any data connection I can make between
    them. Which one did *you* try? Did you even *try* the c-kermit software
    from Columbia University? Get it, load it up, type "help send" and "help
    get" then read all the options paying attention to "/RECURSIVE". If that
    will not do what you said you want then you misstated what you want.

    Gene (e-mail: gene \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)
    Got Rute? http://www.anrdoezrs.net/email-25465...sbn=0130333514
    ERA Computers & Consulting - http://www.eracc.com/
    Preloaded PCs - eComStation, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenServer & UnixWare

+ Reply to Thread