Uploading files with FTP to MVS data sets - Protocols

This is a discussion on Uploading files with FTP to MVS data sets - Protocols ; Hello there, I'm trying to upload a file to an IBM MVS mainframe using K-95 V2.1.2, where the file is stored as a "data set". The full name of the data set (and hence, the file), is something like this: ...

  1. Uploading files with FTP to MVS data sets

    Hello there,

    I'm trying to upload a file to an IBM MVS mainframe using K-95 V2.1.2, where the
    file is stored as a "data set".
    The full name of the data set (and hence, the file), is something like this:
    D123.XXXXXX.YYYYYY.20071029.1

    The little I understand of these data sets, is that the '.' characters denote
    the equivalent of directory levels.

    I log in with FTP, nothing special is reported:
    ---8<---
    [C:\] K-95> ftp ftp.mvsserver.com
    Connected to ftp.mvsserver.com.
    D610TES is logged on. Working directory is "D123.".
    Switching Locus to REMOTE for file management commands
    such as CD, DIRECTORY, DELETE, RENAME. Type HELP SET
    LOCUS at the K-95> prompt for further info. Use the
    SET LOCUS command to disable automatic locus switching
    or to disable these queries.
    OK to switch Locus?y
    Restart requires Block or Compressed transfer mode.
    Remote system type is MVS.
    Default transfer mode is TEXT ("ASCII")
    [C:\] K-95>
    ---8<---

    After that, I just run the put command to upload the file:
    ---8<---
    [C:\] K-95> put D123.XXXXXX.YYYYYY.20071029.1
    Kermit 95 2.1.2, 25 Nov 2002, pc [192.168.1.10]

    Current Directory: C:/
    Network Host: ftp.mvsserver.com
    Network Type: TCP/IP
    Parity: none
    RTT/Timeout: 00 / 00
    FTP PUT: => D123_XXXXXX_YYYYYY_20071029.1
    File Type: TEXT (no translation)
    File Size: 4425
    Percent Done:
    FTP Protocol: ...10...20...30...40...50...60...70...80...90..100
    Elapsed Time: 00:00:00
    Transfer Rate, CPS: 0
    Window Slots: N/A
    Packet Type: N/A
    I/O Count: 0
    I/O Length: 0
    Error Count: 0
    Last Error:
    Last Message: Invalid data set name "D123_XXXXXX_YYYYYY_20071029.1".
    Use MVS Dsname conventions.
    [C:\] K-95>
    ---8<---

    Why are the first '.' characters in the filename converted to '_'?
    If that is the root problem here, then how do I tell Kermit not to change the
    filename?

    If anyone has an idea how to solve this, I would gladly hear your suggestions.

  2. Re: Uploading files with FTP to MVS data sets

    In article , Maalobs says...

    > I'm trying to upload a file to an IBM MVS mainframe using
    > K-95 V2.1.2, where the file is stored as a "data set".
    > The full name of the data set (and hence, the file), is
    > something like this:
    > D123.XXXXXX.YYYYYY.20071029.1

    > The little I understand of these data sets, is that the '.'
    > characters denote the equivalent of directory levels.

    I think I figured out a part of the problem myself.
    I learned that the filename is illegal if a digit appears directly after a '.'.
    So I changed the filename to this:
    D123.XXXXXX.YYYYYY.D071029.A1

    And in fact, the home directory I arrive at when I login, is 'D123.', so the
    name I must use is:
    XXXXXX.YYYYYY.D071029.A1

    With that knowledge I run 'put XXXXXX.YYYYYY.D071029.A1' in K95, but I still get
    this error:
    Invalid data set name "XXXXXX_YYYYYY_D071029.A1". Use MVS Dsname conventions.

    Using this last method works with MS ftp.exe in Windows, but not with K95.

    Why does K95 insist on changing the filename?

  3. Re: Uploading files with FTP to MVS data sets

    On 2007-10-29, Maalobs wrote:
    : In article , Maalobs says...
    :
[...]
    Because on many operating systems, filenames containing multiple dots
    (periods) are illegal.

    To get around this use:

    ftp put /filenames:literal D123.XXXXXX.YYYYYY.20071029.1

    or:

    ftp mput /filenames:literal

    - Frank

  4. Re: Uploading files with FTP to MVS data sets

    In article , Frank Da Cruz says...
    >: With that knowledge I run 'put XXXXXX.YYYYYY.D071029.A1' in K95,
    >: but I still get this error:
    >: Invalid data set name "XXXXXX_YYYYYY_D071029.A1". Use MVS Dsname
    >: conventions.

    >: Using this last method works with MS ftp.exe in Windows, but not with K95.

    >: Why does K95 insist on changing the filename?

    > Because on many operating systems, filenames containing multiple
    > dots (periods) are illegal.

    > To get around this use:

    > ftp put /filenames:literal D123.XXXXXX.YYYYYY.20071029.1

    > or:

    > ftp mput /filenames:literal

    Yes, that worked like a charm.

    Thanks for your help!