VC++ help - Programmer

This is a discussion on VC++ help - Programmer ; I have little exposure to VC++ programming. Now I am assigned a job to perform some operations on the background only. No visual interface is required. The program works only with the database. I was suggested to write a windows ...

  1. VC++ help

    I have little exposure to VC++ programming.
    Now I am assigned a job to perform some operations on the background
    only. No visual interface is required. The program works only with the
    database.
    I was suggested to write a windows service for this. But finally ended
    up to write an executable to perform the operations when it is run.
    Can someone please let me know the steps to be carried out from the
    beginning. I am not even sure to select the correct project in VC++
    wizard.
    Please let me know which wizard to select and which class to start
    coding (like main()) after the initial files are setup by the wizard.
    How to finally finishup and run the executable with some input
    parameters.

    I appreciate any help...

  2. Re: VC++ help

    vancouy@yahoo.com wrote:

    >I have little exposure to VC++ programming.
    >Now I am assigned a job to perform some operations on the background
    >only. No visual interface is required. The program works only with the
    >database.
    >I was suggested to write a windows service for this. But finally ended
    >up to write an executable to perform the operations when it is run.
    >Can someone please let me know the steps to be carried out from the
    >beginning. I am not even sure to select the correct project in VC++
    >wizard.
    >Please let me know which wizard to select and which class to start
    >coding (like main()) after the initial files are setup by the wizard.
    >How to finally finishup and run the executable with some input
    >parameters.

    If you're writing a program for Windows that doesn't have a GUI and
    isn't a service, then you're writing a console application. And that's
    the choice you should be looking for in the VC++ "new project" wizard.
    In VC++ 6.0, I select File|New...", then select "Win32 Console
    Application" from the box that appears. Select a project name and
    location, click "OK", and the wizard will ask a couple more questions,
    then present you with a framework that you can add to.

    --
    Tim Slattery
    Slattery_T@bls.gov

+ Reply to Thread