Going from Visual Studio 6.0 to Visual Studio 2003 - Programmer

This is a discussion on Going from Visual Studio 6.0 to Visual Studio 2003 - Programmer ; Hi all, My main interest in Visual Studio is using MFC with C++. I'd like to go from VS 6.0 to VS 2003, but I feel like a fish out of water with VS 2003. The interface is remarkably different ...

  1. Going from Visual Studio 6.0 to Visual Studio 2003

    Hi all,

    My main interest in Visual Studio is using MFC with C++.

    I'd like to go from VS 6.0 to VS 2003, but I feel like a fish out of water
    with VS 2003. The interface is remarkably different and much less intuitive
    than VS 6.0.

    Are there any online resources to help people make the transition from 6.0 to
    2003? Kind of like a "Migrating To VS 2003 for dummies" or something like
    that!

  2. Re: Going from Visual Studio 6.0 to Visual Studio 2003

    "Tom" wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > My main interest in Visual Studio is using MFC with C++.
    >
    > I'd like to go from VS 6.0 to VS 2003, but I feel like a fish out of water
    > with VS 2003. The interface is remarkably different and much less
    > intuitive
    > than VS 6.0.

    Why don't you wait a couple more weeks and jump directly to VS 2005?

    -- David

  3. Re: Going from Visual Studio 6.0 to Visual Studio 2003

    For me, it was simply a matter of importing my MFC projects and recompiling.
    The only thing I had to hunt around for was the Wizards, which are done a
    bit differently. But it wasn't a problem.

    Perhaps you should just trying running your old programs and asking any
    specific questions here that might come up.

    --
    Jonathan Wood
    SoftCircuits

    "Tom" wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > My main interest in Visual Studio is using MFC with C++.
    >
    > I'd like to go from VS 6.0 to VS 2003, but I feel like a fish out of water
    > with VS 2003. The interface is remarkably different and much less

    intuitive
    > than VS 6.0.
    >
    > Are there any online resources to help people make the transition from 6.0

    > 2003? Kind of like a "Migrating To VS 2003 for dummies" or something like
    > that!

  4. Re: Going from Visual Studio 6.0 to Visual Studio 2003

    I agree with David about going to 2005 (due out November 7 - launch).
    However, you will find that the interface for 2005 is not much different.
    There are lots of opinions about the interface. It is obvious it wasn't
    optimized for C++, but I still find it workable for C++. Since I use MFC, I
    missed ClassWizard a lot at first, but I'm pretty used to not having it now.
    The 2005 compiler is more compliant and I've heard it creates better code.
    The only reason maybe for going to 2003 first is that 2005 will break a lot
    of the code that you found working in 6.0. This is also true of 2003, but
    more so with 2005. Still, the compiler gives great warnings, the help
    messages help you diagnose what needs to be done, and you end up finding
    things you never knew were lurking problems before so I think the exercise
    is worth the hassle.

    Fortunately, MFC works around the same... only a few new classes, but you
    won't notice as big of a change there for this release.

    Tom

    "Tom" wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > My main interest in Visual Studio is using MFC with C++.
    >
    > I'd like to go from VS 6.0 to VS 2003, but I feel like a fish out of water
    > with VS 2003. The interface is remarkably different and much less
    > intuitive
    > than VS 6.0.
    >
    > Are there any online resources to help people make the transition from 6.0
    > 2003? Kind of like a "Migrating To VS 2003 for dummies" or something like
    > that!

  5. Re: Going from Visual Studio 6.0 to Visual Studio 2003

    I basically started out on VS2003, so I didn't use VC6 much.

    But I did set the profile on the start page to VC6 settings.

+ Reply to Thread