Software copyright. - Programmer

This is a discussion on Software copyright. - Programmer ; As a contractor, I worked for my previous employer and I wrote a program. Every file contained a copyright notice at the top of the file. My contract with that company states that the company is the owner of all ...

  1. Software copyright.

    As a contractor, I worked for my previous employer and I wrote a program.
    Every file contained a copyright notice at the top of the file. My contract
    with that company states that the company is the owner of all right, title
    and interest in all source code.

    TO WHAT DEGREE DOES THAT APPLY? Can someone explain copyright law as it
    applies to source code.

    At my new job, I want to write a similar but different program. How much can
    I reuse the old code?

    If I use an old file and I replace the copyright with my own, remove say 10%
    of the stuff in the file (stuff I don't need) and then add say 10% new
    stuff. Is this legal?

    What if some functions in the file change significantly, but some functions
    don't change at all?

    What if I use an old file and it is essentially identical with only cosmetic
    changes. Is that legal?

  2. Re: Software copyright.

    Webster wrote:
    > As a contractor, I worked for my previous employer and I wrote a program.
    > Every file contained a copyright notice at the top of the file. My contract
    > with that company states that the company is the owner of all right, title
    > and interest in all source code.
    >
    > TO WHAT DEGREE DOES THAT APPLY? Can someone explain copyright law as it
    > applies to source code.
    >
    > At my new job, I want to write a similar but different program. How much can
    > I reuse the old code?
    >
    > If I use an old file...

    If you use an old file you are violating the copyright and contract, no
    matter what you do to the file.

    --
    Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

+ Reply to Thread