I/O control of custom made board - Programmer

This is a discussion on I/O control of custom made board - Programmer ; Hi, How do you write a windows based software for doing data acquisition, i/o, control algorithms etc with an external custom made board. Anyone know how to get started doing this in C/C++? Suresh...

  1. I/O control of custom made board

    Hi,

    How do you write a windows based software for doing data acquisition,
    i/o,
    control algorithms etc with an external custom made board. Anyone know
    how to get started doing this in C/C++?

    Suresh

  2. Re: I/O control of custom made board

    Suresh wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > How do you write a windows based software for doing data acquisition,
    > i/o,
    > control algorithms etc with an external custom made board. Anyone know
    > how to get started doing this in C/C++?
    >
    > Suresh

    In the Windows NT, 2K, XP versions application programs are not
    permitted to execute port in & out instructions. You must have a device
    driver.

    If your needs are very simple and slow you can find general-purpose
    freeware drivers that will do in & out to ports for you. (www.lvr.com)

    For anything more sophisticated, including memory-mapped I/O,
    interrupts, or DMA you have to actually write a device driver. You will
    need a book about it (Walter Oney's) and the Microsoft Device Driver Kit
    (DDK) and several months to learn about the required elements in a
    device driver. This is very complex, and unrelated to Windows
    application programming, and unrelated to MFC.

    --
    Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

+ Reply to Thread