Newbie Visual C++ question - Programmer

This is a discussion on Newbie Visual C++ question - Programmer ; Hi all, I am new to Visual C++ V6, but I have experience with embedded C products and a little Visual Basic. I need to create a VC6 application which has a frame with some standard pull down menus (file ...

  1. Newbie Visual C++ question

    Hi all,

    I am new to Visual C++ V6, but I have experience with embedded C
    products and a little Visual Basic.

    I need to create a VC6 application which has a frame with some
    standard pull down menus (file open, new etc), along with a plotting
    area (so I can draw some arbitrary wave forms from some acquired data)
    and a couple of buttons. Plotting area needs to be 800 x 600 pixels.

    Any pointers to a good starting point (examples from either MSDN V6 or
    the Web) for this project is appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Mark.

  2. Re: Newbie Visual C++ question

    Mark Aren wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am new to Visual C++ V6, but I have experience with embedded C
    > products and a little Visual Basic.
    >
    > I need to create a VC6 application which has a frame with some
    > standard pull down menus (file open, new etc), along with a plotting
    > area (so I can draw some arbitrary wave forms from some acquired data)
    > and a couple of buttons. Plotting area needs to be 800 x 600 pixels.
    >
    > Any pointers to a good starting point (examples from either MSDN V6 or
    > the Web) for this project is appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mark.

    The SCRIBBLE tutorial in the help will give you a quick overview of the
    MFC and IDE basics.

    To get your app started use VC's File/New/Projects and select MFC
    AppWizard (exe). Step through building an SDI doc/view application.
    You will get a ready-to-run program, with standard menu and an OnDraw
    function ready for you to fill in some drawing code.

    --
    Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

  3. Re: Newbie Visual C++ question

    Scott,

    Thanks. That looks like the kind of start I am looking for.

    Mark.

    "Scott McPhillips [MVP]" wrote in message news:<2YqdnSff2aDPZvDdRVn-vg@comcast.com>...
    > Mark Aren wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I am new to Visual C++ V6, but I have experience with embedded C
    > > products and a little Visual Basic.
    > >
    > > I need to create a VC6 application which has a frame with some
    > > standard pull down menus (file open, new etc), along with a plotting
    > > area (so I can draw some arbitrary wave forms from some acquired data)
    > > and a couple of buttons. Plotting area needs to be 800 x 600 pixels.
    > >
    > > Any pointers to a good starting point (examples from either MSDN V6 or
    > > the Web) for this project is appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Mark.

    > The SCRIBBLE tutorial in the help will give you a quick overview of the
    > MFC and IDE basics.
    >
    > To get your app started use VC's File/New/Projects and select MFC
    > AppWizard (exe). Step through building an SDI doc/view application.
    > You will get a ready-to-run program, with standard menu and an OnDraw
    > function ready for you to fill in some drawing code.

+ Reply to Thread