moving a file referenced by multiple projects within a .NET solution - Programmer

This is a discussion on moving a file referenced by multiple projects within a .NET solution - Programmer ; I have a Visual Studio .NET solution that contains about 100 C++ projects. Many of these projects reference myfile.cpp. Is there a simple way for me to move myfile.cpp to a new location without having to edit the location of ...

  1. moving a file referenced by multiple projects within a .NET solution

    I have a Visual Studio .NET solution that contains about 100 C++
    projects. Many of these projects reference myfile.cpp. Is there a
    simple way for me to move myfile.cpp to a new location without having
    to edit the location of that file within every project? If not, is
    there a way of setting up the solution in the beginning so that I
    would be able to do this? (Sort of like if all of the source files
    could be solution level and the projects could just point to those
    files- like a symbolic link.)

    My best idea right now is to write a script that will open every
    ..vcproj and change the path in the appropriate places to the new path.
    This will work, but seems kind of dangerous, or at least inelegant.

    Thank you.

  2. Re: moving a file referenced by multiple projects within a .NET solution

    Use visual source safe. Look for the branch and share options.

    fred wrote in message
    news:4c3b0545.0402201239.64bb20e1@posting.google.c om...
    > I have a Visual Studio .NET solution that contains about 100 C++
    > projects. Many of these projects reference myfile.cpp. Is there a
    > simple way for me to move myfile.cpp to a new location without having
    > to edit the location of that file within every project? If not, is
    > there a way of setting up the solution in the beginning so that I
    > would be able to do this? (Sort of like if all of the source files
    > could be solution level and the projects could just point to those
    > files- like a symbolic link.)
    >
    > My best idea right now is to write a script that will open every
    > .vcproj and change the path in the appropriate places to the new path.
    > This will work, but seems kind of dangerous, or at least inelegant.
    >
    > Thank you.

+ Reply to Thread