Is there a demand for MFC programmers? - Programmer

This is a discussion on Is there a demand for MFC programmers? - Programmer ; I am debating whether or not to spend time learning MFC in depth. Several years ago, there were tons of ads for MFC programmers in my local newspaper. Now an ad shows up for an MFC programmer only once or ...

  1. Is there a demand for MFC programmers?

    I am debating whether or not to spend time learning MFC in depth.
    Several years ago, there were tons of ads for MFC programmers in my
    local newspaper. Now an ad shows up for an MFC programmer only once
    or twice per year. I don't know if demand has decreased because of
    the economy or if MFC has fallen out of vogue.
    Is it worth an investment in time to learn MFC, or would I be better
    off learning some other technology? I am not interested programming
    for business applications. I like programming science applications.
    Thanx for any advice. -Tony

  2. Re: Is there a demand for MFC programmers?

    A better question might be: 'is there a demand for programmers at all?'

    Free software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com

    "TonyVarden" wrote in message
    news:739e44f7.0402151939.a7bc0cc@posting.google.co m...
    > I am debating whether or not to spend time learning MFC in depth.
    > Several years ago, there were tons of ads for MFC programmers in my
    > local newspaper. Now an ad shows up for an MFC programmer only once
    > or twice per year. I don't know if demand has decreased because of
    > the economy or if MFC has fallen out of vogue.
    > Is it worth an investment in time to learn MFC, or would I be better
    > off learning some other technology? I am not interested programming
    > for business applications. I like programming science applications.
    > Thanx for any advice. -Tony

  3. Re: Is there a demand for MFC programmers?

    On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 09:22:09 -0800, "Baxter"
    wrote:

    >A better question might be: 'is there a demand for programmers at all?'

    The demand for programmers has risen by around 75% since just before Christmas.

    Quandon

  4. Re: Is there a demand for MFC programmers?

    Really, now? Sure could'a fool me here in the Silicon Forest. I haven't
    seen any increase in the listings in the Classified, I haven't seen any
    increases in the listings on the Employment Jobs Websites, I haven't heard
    of anyone getting jobs.

    Ah! You're talking UK - or perhaps India?

    "Quandon" wrote in message
    > On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 09:22:09 -0800, "Baxter"

    > wrote:
    >
    > >A better question might be: 'is there a demand for programmers at all?'

    > The demand for programmers has risen by around 75% since just before

    Christmas.

    > Quandon

  5. Re: Is there a demand for MFC programmers?

    On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 08:09:23 -0800, "Baxter"
    wrote:

    >Really, now? Sure could'a fool me here in the Silicon Forest. I haven't
    >seen any increase in the listings in the Classified, I haven't seen any
    >increases in the listings on the Employment Jobs Websites, I haven't heard
    >of anyone getting jobs.
    >
    >Ah! You're talking UK - or perhaps India?

    UK.

    Try looking at www.jobserve.com.

    The average number of jobs advertised per week has risen from (approx) 13,000
    most of last year to 15,000 just before the Christmas lull, to 22,000 now.

    There's little doubt that the prospects are brightening slowly, but there are
    such a large number of programmers out of work that it will take a while before
    the effects filter through to all. (Before the slump, this site was posting
    50,000 jobs a week for a couple of years, rising to a peak of 65,000, then the
    most sickening drop off you could imagine!).

    Good luck.

    Quandon

+ Reply to Thread