Visual Studio hangs after 2nd compile - Programmer

This is a discussion on Visual Studio hangs after 2nd compile - Programmer ; Hey! I'm trying to compile some kind of Win32 Application with Visual Studio 6. I'm able to compile and run it for the first time, but subsequent Calls of Build/Rebuild/Execute result in stopping the whole IDE. First run: Compiling resources... ...

  1. Visual Studio hangs after 2nd compile

    Hey!

    I'm trying to compile some kind of Win32 Application with Visual
    Studio 6. I'm able to compile and run it for the first time, but
    subsequent Calls of Build/Rebuild/Execute result in stopping the whole
    IDE.

    First run:

    Compiling resources...
    Compiling...
    StdAfx.cpp
    Compiling...
    SetiDig.cpp
    Linking...
    foo.exe - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)

    Second run or run after changing the source code:

    Compiling resources...
    Linking...

    From this point ongoing, the Development Environment can't be closed
    because of the following Alert: "You cannot close the Workspace while
    a build is in progress. Select the Sop Build command before closing
    the workspace."

    The only way to continue from this point is running a "kill -f msdev"
    on Command Prompt.

    If you need more debugging information, please let me know. Any hints
    would be greatly appreciated.

    Cheers,
    mic

  2. Re: Visual Studio hangs after 2nd compile

    "Michael John" wrote in message
    > Hey!
    >
    > I'm trying to compile some kind of Win32 Application with Visual
    > Studio 6. I'm able to compile and run it for the first time, but
    > subsequent Calls of Build/Rebuild/Execute result in stopping the whole
    > IDE.
    >
    > First run:
    >
    > Compiling resources...
    > Compiling...
    > StdAfx.cpp
    > Compiling...
    > SetiDig.cpp
    > Linking...
    > foo.exe - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)
    >
    > Second run or run after changing the source code:
    >
    > Compiling resources...
    > Linking...
    >
    > From this point ongoing, the Development Environment can't be closed
    > because of the following Alert: "You cannot close the Workspace while
    > a build is in progress. Select the Sop Build command before closing
    > the workspace."
    >
    > The only way to continue from this point is running a "kill -f msdev"
    > on Command Prompt.
    >
    > If you need more debugging information, please let me know. Any hints
    > would be greatly appreciated.

    Is it happening with any project, or just this one? Have you tried
    re-installing Visual Studio?

    dave h

  3. Re: Visual Studio hangs after 2nd compile

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 04:51:35 +0100, Michael John
    wrote:

    >Hey!
    >
    >I'm trying to compile some kind of Win32 Application with Visual
    >Studio 6. I'm able to compile and run it for the first time, but
    >subsequent Calls of Build/Rebuild/Execute result in stopping the whole
    >IDE.

    -snip-

    >From this point ongoing, the Development Environment can't be closed
    >because of the following Alert: "You cannot close the Workspace while
    >a build is in progress. Select the Sop Build command before closing
    >the workspace."
    >
    >The only way to continue from this point is running a "kill -f msdev"
    >on Command Prompt.

    I had a large project file that somehow got corrupted and acted
    somewhat similarly. I ended up rebuilding it and the problem went
    away.

    I've seen 'on access' or 'real-time' virus scanners cause havoc when
    building.

    Also be sure you have installed all service packs.

  4. Re: Visual Studio hangs after 2nd compile

    Am Thu, 12 Feb 2004 09:18:31 -0600 meinte "Dave"
    :

    >"Michael John" wrote in message
    >> Hey!
    >>
    >> I'm trying to compile some kind of Win32 Application with Visual
    >> Studio 6. I'm able to compile and run it for the first time, but
    >> subsequent Calls of Build/Rebuild/Execute result in stopping the whole
    >> IDE.
    >>
    >> First run:
    >>
    >> Compiling resources...
    >> Compiling...
    >> StdAfx.cpp
    >> Compiling...
    >> SetiDig.cpp
    >> Linking...
    >> foo.exe - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)
    >>
    >> Second run or run after changing the source code:
    >>
    >> Compiling resources...
    >> Linking...
    >>
    >> From this point ongoing, the Development Environment can't be closed
    >> because of the following Alert: "You cannot close the Workspace while
    >> a build is in progress. Select the Sop Build command before closing
    >> the workspace."
    >>
    >> The only way to continue from this point is running a "kill -f msdev"
    >> on Command Prompt.
    >>
    >> If you need more debugging information, please let me know. Any hints
    >> would be greatly appreciated.
    >>

    >Is it happening with any project, or just this one? Have you tried
    >re-installing Visual Studio?

    I re-installed VS several times, but this kind of error occurs on
    every project i try to compile or run. Sometimes it hangs after i
    compile it for the second time without changing a bit, sometimes it
    hangs if i changed some portions of source code. But this doesn't seem
    to have a connection to the kind of project, it even hangs on *any*
    project.

    >dave h

    mic

+ Reply to Thread