How to add an existing bitmap to a dialog picture control or background - Programmer

This is a discussion on How to add an existing bitmap to a dialog picture control or background - Programmer ; New to VC++ - all I want to do is add an existing bitmap image to a dialog as a background image and also as a picture on the dialog. This should be so easy... I've read: Workspace'. Click the ...

  1. How to add an existing bitmap to a dialog picture control or background

    New to VC++ - all I want to do is add an existing bitmap image to a
    dialog as a background image and also as a picture on the dialog. This
    should be so easy...

    I've read:

    > Workspace'. Click the tab 'Resource View'. Click the '+' beside the
    > word 'Dialog'. Double-click the dialog name. Select the 'Picture
    > Control' from the floating toolbar.>
    >
    > But if I right click on resources and select bitmap I get a blank
    > bitmap...then whatam I supposed to do?
    >
    > If I right click on resources and select import and then select my
    > image file I am then prompted for "resource type". Well its a "bitmap"
    > obviously so why am I be being asked. And entering "bitmap" generates
    > a popup error ie cannot import custom resources blah blah. Ok, so I
    > enter "mybitmap". This results in a new resource entry. And I cannot
    > see a picture instead I see what appears to be the memory contents of
    > my image file. Nevermind, press on...so I create a picture control on
    > a dialog. I open its properties and there is the bitmap type but my
    > image is not associated with this. Also there is not a type associated
    > with my new resource entry.
    >
    > What on earth am I doing wrong?

    It seems like the resource editor does not recognize your file as a
    bitmap. Try the steps above that give you a blank bitmap resource.
    This is creating a new but unpainted bitmap resource. Then use copy &
    paste to paste your image into the blank resource from some program that
    can open your file.

    --
    Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

  2. Re: How to add an existing bitmap to a dialog picture control or background

    "Scott McPhillips [MVP]" wrote in message
    > It seems like the resource editor does not recognize your file as a
    > bitmap. Try the steps above that give you a blank bitmap resource.
    > This is creating a new but unpainted bitmap resource. Then use copy &
    > paste to paste your image into the blank resource from some program that
    > can open your file.

    Scott thanks for your help.
    You are correct in that I was trying to load in a gif file and not a
    bmp file. I just assumed any picture could be loaded in as per VB. So
    are we limited to bmp files? Also can you do the VB thing of loading a
    picture as a form background or not?

  3. Re: How to add an existing bitmap to a dialog picture control or background

    Can anyone recommend any good tutorials to get me up and running fast
    with VC++. I know some c++ and VB.

    But of course: C++ plus VB <> knowing VC++

    In VB at design time it is very easy to load gifs etc into picture
    control and as a form background. Also its easy to have graphic
    buttons. It seems not so easy in VC (using VS 6.0). Managed to load a
    ..bmp into a picture control but that took days.

    Still wondering how - at design time - to

    1. set a bitmap as a form's background
    2. set a gif, jpg as form's background or load into a piccie control.

    Just came across functionx.com and see if that will help. Also would
    like to know of any good places for V++ noddy code examples. And yes I
    have searched the net and am still searching.

  4. Re: How to add an existing bitmap to a dialog picture control orbackground

    Zordiac wrote:
    > Just came across functionx.com and see if that will help. Also would
    > like to know of any good places for V++ noddy code examples. And yes I
    > have searched the net and am still searching.

    Although it is not a term I am familiar with, these sites are probably
    very noddy for VC++ sample code:

    http://www.codeguru.com/
    http://www.codeproject.com/

    --