Could anyone recommend a good Multi-threading book? - Programmer

This is a discussion on Could anyone recommend a good Multi-threading book? - Programmer ; I would like to learn more about multi-threading. I have read the MFC documentation. I understand CEvents, CSemaphores, CCriticalSections. Is this usually enough? I am hoping to write GUI code for a complex machine or an instrument. -THX Tony...

  1. Could anyone recommend a good Multi-threading book?

    I would like to learn more about multi-threading. I have read the MFC
    documentation. I understand CEvents, CSemaphores, CCriticalSections.
    Is this usually enough? I am hoping to write GUI code for a complex
    machine or an instrument. -THX Tony

  2. Re: Could anyone recommend a good Multi-threading book?

    TonyVarden wrote:

    > I would like to learn more about multi-threading. I have read the MFC
    > documentation. I understand CEvents, CSemaphores, CCriticalSections.
    > Is this usually enough? I am hoping to write GUI code for a complex
    > machine or an instrument. -THX Tony

    Jeffrey Richter's book covers multithreading quite well and many other
    system programming issues. Old editions are titled "Advanced Windows"
    and newer ones "Programming Applications for Microsoft Windows".

    This book is at the API level, not MFC. I've never seen a thorough
    treatment of threads presented with MFC context. But everything in
    Richter's book is relevant and usable in MFC. In fact, the API calls
    for events, semaphones, critsects, etc. seem a lot simpler to understand
    to me than the equivalent MFC wrapper classes.

    --
    Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

  3. Re: Could anyone recommend a good Multi-threading book?

    "Scott McPhillips [MVP]" wrote in message
    > TonyVarden wrote:
    >
    > > I would like to learn more about multi-threading. I have read the MFC
    > > documentation. I understand CEvents, CSemaphores, CCriticalSections.
    > > Is this usually enough? I am hoping to write GUI code for a complex
    > > machine or an instrument. -THX Tony

    > Jeffrey Richter's book covers multithreading quite well and many other
    > system programming issues. Old editions are titled "Advanced Windows"
    > and newer ones "Programming Applications for Microsoft Windows".
    >
    > This book is at the API level, not MFC. I've never seen a thorough
    > treatment of threads presented with MFC context. But everything in
    > Richter's book is relevant and usable in MFC. In fact, the API calls
    > for events, semaphones, critsects, etc. seem a lot simpler to understand
    > to me than the equivalent MFC wrapper classes.
    >
    > --

    I'm curious if you've ever read "Win32 multithreaded Programming" by Cohen &
    Woodring? I have access to this book, but haven't read it. I don't know
    the extent it talks about MFC, but there it has both C++ and MFC classes for
    multithreading. I also have the "Advanced Windows" book. Do you think the
    Richter book would be enough?

    dave h

  4. Re: Could anyone recommend a good Multi-threading book?

    Dave H wrote:
    > I'm curious if you've ever read "Win32 multithreaded Programming" by Cohen &
    > Woodring? I have access to this book, but haven't read it. I don't know
    > the extent it talks about MFC, but there it has both C++ and MFC classes for
    > multithreading. I also have the "Advanced Windows" book. Do you think the
    > Richter book would be enough?
    >
    > dave h

    I have the Cohen & Woodring book - browsed but not read. It develops a
    set of classes for multithreading, and illustrates using those classes
    in both Win32 and MFC programs. Not exactly "How to use MFC in
    multithreaded apps" as much as "How to use our classes in an MFC app."
    So it's not quite what you were after, but it wouldn't hurt to learn
    from it and then decide what you want to do. There are so many issues
    in multithreading that absorbing more than one book would be worthwhile.

    --
    Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

+ Reply to Thread