Multi-pane MDI application - Programmer

This is a discussion on Multi-pane MDI application - Programmer ; Could someone please tell me a way of creating an MDI application with a multi-paned main window? Here are a few more details on what I am trying to do: I am developing an MDI application and I want the ...

  1. Multi-pane MDI application

    Could someone please tell me a way of creating an MDI application with a
    multi-paned main window?

    Here are a few more details on what I am trying to do:

    I am developing an MDI application and I want the main frame to have two
    panes. The top frame will be the client to the multiple documents that the
    user creates. The lower pain will display status information. I have tried
    doing this with the CSplitterWnd object by creating two static panes (in
    CMainFrame::CreateClient()). I create the two panes and then assign the HWND
    handle of the top pain to m_hWndMDIClient. But when child frames for new
    documents are being created the WM_MDICREATE message (issued in
    CMDIChildWnd::Create) fails.

    Thanks in advance,
    Dale

  2. Re: Multi-pane MDI application

    I would recommend a dialog bar as the bottom window. That would make things
    like VC++ IDE, where you typcially have a window on the bottom that shows
    messages and such.

    Take a look at these.

    http://www.codeguru.com/docking/sizi...ctrl_bar.shtml
    http://www.codeguru.com/docking/mrcext.shtml

    Ali R.

    "Dale Hill" wrote in message
    > Could someone please tell me a way of creating an MDI application with a
    > multi-paned main window?
    >
    > Here are a few more details on what I am trying to do:
    >
    > I am developing an MDI application and I want the main frame to have two
    > panes. The top frame will be the client to the multiple documents that the
    > user creates. The lower pain will display status information. I have tried
    > doing this with the CSplitterWnd object by creating two static panes (in
    > CMainFrame::CreateClient()). I create the two panes and then assign the

    HWND
    > handle of the top pain to m_hWndMDIClient. But when child frames for new
    > documents are being created the WM_MDICREATE message (issued in
    > CMDIChildWnd::Create) fails.

    > Thanks in advance,
    > Dale

  3. Re: Multi-pane MDI application

    Thanks a lot for your reply. Thanks also for the URL's

    "Ali R." wrote in message
    news:APjJb.4122$s25.3718@newssvr22.news.prodigy.co m...
    > I would recommend a dialog bar as the bottom window. That would make

    things
    > like VC++ IDE, where you typcially have a window on the bottom that shows
    > messages and such.
    >
    > Take a look at these.
    >
    > http://www.codeguru.com/docking/sizi...ctrl_bar.shtml
    > http://www.codeguru.com/docking/mrcext.shtml
    >
    > Ali R.
    >
    > "Dale Hill" wrote in message
    > > Could someone please tell me a way of creating an MDI application with a
    > > multi-paned main window?
    > >
    > > Here are a few more details on what I am trying to do:
    > >
    > > I am developing an MDI application and I want the main frame to have two
    > > panes. The top frame will be the client to the multiple documents that

    the
    > > user creates. The lower pain will display status information. I have

    tried
    > > doing this with the CSplitterWnd object by creating two static panes (in
    > > CMainFrame::CreateClient()). I create the two panes and then assign the

    > HWND
    > > handle of the top pain to m_hWndMDIClient. But when child frames for new
    > > documents are being created the WM_MDICREATE message (issued in
    > > CMDIChildWnd::Create) fails.
    > >
    > > Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance,
    > > Dale

  4. Re: Multi-pane MDI application

    In article <3ff5e439@news.peakpeak.com>,
    "Dale Hill" wrote:

    > Could someone please tell me a way of creating an MDI application with a
    > multi-paned main window?

    NDI makes little sense in the present day, when people can have multiple
    CRTs of different screen sizes attached to their CPU. Give each user
    document its own top level window, and the user can use his screens.

+ Reply to Thread