Book about MFC - Programmer

This is a discussion on Book about MFC - Programmer ; I would like to buy a book about Visual C++ and MFC. I would appreciate any tip about a good book. I know how to write standard programs in MFC, but I cannot really say that I understand MFC. I ...

  1. Book about MFC

    I would like to buy a book about Visual C++ and MFC. I would
    appreciate any tip about a good book.

    I know how to write standard programs in MFC, but I cannot really say
    that I understand MFC. I feel it runs behind my back and doing things
    that I don't know so much about.

    Before I programmed in SDK and C, much like the way Charles Petzold
    describes in his book. This way of programming I know fairly well.

    I use Visual C++ 6.0, maybe this version is a bit old now? I would
    like to know more about windows programming in MFC, the C++ stuff
    should not be any problems.

    Thanks in advance, Stefan

  2. Re: Book about MFC

    "Stefan" wrote in message
    news:88f4a263.0312281507.66eaa405@posting.google.c om...
    > I would like to buy a book about Visual C++ and MFC. I would
    > appreciate any tip about a good book.
    >
    > I know how to write standard programs in MFC, but I cannot really say
    > that I understand MFC. I feel it runs behind my back and doing things
    > that I don't know so much about.
    >
    > Before I programmed in SDK and C, much like the way Charles Petzold
    > describes in his book. This way of programming I know fairly well.
    >
    > I use Visual C++ 6.0, maybe this version is a bit old now? I would
    > like to know more about windows programming in MFC, the C++ stuff
    > should not be any problems.
    >
    > Thanks in advance, Stefan

    I have found Jeff Prossies "Programming windoze with MFC"
    indespensable. I've previously done DOS stuff in C++, and some
    Palm Plonker (never again!) and I am very un-wizard oriented.
    From this pov, its great - but you may be happier with another
    approach, I'm sure theres lots of good advice here!
    I needed to upgrade from VB clunker to sleek C++, and MFC seemed
    to best way to do it quickly. For a while it was a tangled nightmare.

    I find this n.g very useful, just browsing the threads lets all sorts of
    stuff pop into place, so happy new year all.

    (BTW, I'm using CodWorrier, which is wizard-free. That is, apart from the
    resource
    editor which is a monster)

    SR

  3. Re: Book about MFC

    "Stefan" wrote in message
    news:88f4a263.0312281507.66eaa405@posting.google.c om...
    > I would like to buy a book about Visual C++ and MFC. I would
    > appreciate any tip about a good book.
    >
    > I know how to write standard programs in MFC, but I cannot really say
    > that I understand MFC. I feel it runs behind my back and doing things
    > that I don't know so much about.

    Check out "MFC Internals" by Shepard and Wingo.

    dave h