MFC/DAO app only works on some machines - Programmer

This is a discussion on MFC/DAO app only works on some machines - Programmer ; Hi all, I've written an MFC/DAO app using VC6 & DAO 3.5. I installed it on 4 machines. It only ran on one and failed at the first database call on the other 3. I then installed DAO on the ...

  1. MFC/DAO app only works on some machines

    Hi all,

    I've written an MFC/DAO app using VC6 & DAO 3.5. I installed it on 4
    machines. It only ran on one and failed at the first database call on the
    other 3. I then installed DAO on the remaining 3 which got me one more
    working machine and two that still fail. All 4 machines are running the same
    version of Windows 98 and MFC is statically linked.

    What else might I have forgotten?

    Damn, I used to know this

    Thanks,

    Terry.

  2. Re: MFC/DAO app only works on some machines

    "Terry Richards" wrote in message
    news:nk1yb.26201$Rk5.9856@newsread1.news.atl.earth link.net...
    > Hi all,

    Hi !

    Instal DAO 3.51 from redist package in Your VC.

    Bst reg.

  3. Re: MFC/DAO app only works on some machines

    "B20A5" wrote in message

    > Instal DAO 3.51 from redist package in Your VC.

    Thanks but I already did that. There's something else I need.

    Terry.

  4. Re: MFC/DAO app only works on some machines

    "Terry Richards" wrote in message
    newsq0Ab.297$7p2.168@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net. ..
    > "B20A5" wrote in message
    > >
    > > Instal DAO 3.51 from redist package in Your VC.
    > >

    > Thanks but I already did that. There's something else I need.

    So... tell me error message, or something...
    1 - maybe Your app cannot find mdb file or open it for read&write ?
    2 - what it mean: "failed at the first database call" ? It is "Open" on
    CDaoRecordset ? Did You create main CDaoDatabase object for one connection
    and create CdaoRecordset with pointer to main database ? If not - try do
    this, and check - if CDaodatabase "Open" failed - then app can't access db
    file.

    Dany

  5. Re: MFC/DAO app only works on some machines

    If you use the CDao classes check your GetDefaultDBName() functions. When
    using the class wizzard the path to the database is set to your VC
    environment. Replace it like:

    CString CMyDaoRecordSet::GetDefaultDBName()
    {
    CString str;
    TCHAR sz[_MAX_PATH];
    GetCurrentDirectory(_MAX_PATH, sz);
    str.Format("%s\\MyDataBase.mdb", sz);
    return str;
    }

    You have to provide the jet engine dist. with your application. When not,
    your aplication works only if MS-Office with access is installed.

    Terry Richards wrote in message
    news:nk1yb.26201$Rk5.9856@newsread1.news.atl.earth link.net...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've written an MFC/DAO app using VC6 & DAO 3.5. I installed it on 4
    > machines. It only ran on one and failed at the first database call on the
    > other 3. I then installed DAO on the remaining 3 which got me one more
    > working machine and two that still fail. All 4 machines are running the

    same
    > version of Windows 98 and MFC is statically linked.
    >
    > What else might I have forgotten?
    >
    > Damn, I used to know this
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Terry.