Advise on upgrading from VC++ Standard - Programmer

This is a discussion on Advise on upgrading from VC++ Standard - Programmer ; Hi: I have the student edition of Visual C++, and want to upgrade. My goal for upgrading is to get compiler optimization, among other things. Not much need or interest for doing web-based apps. Mainly executables for WINDOWS XP. I ...

  1. Advise on upgrading from VC++ Standard

    Hi:

    I have the student edition of Visual C++, and want to upgrade. My goal for
    upgrading is to get compiler optimization, among other things. Not much need
    or interest for doing web-based apps. Mainly executables for WINDOWS XP.

    I have found VC++ Professional (Mfg # 659-00133 Full Version) at
    MicroWarehouse for $949. Atomic Park has it for $399 ((PN: 048-00210). Why
    the big price difference? Any pitfalls I should be aware of? Any advise is
    greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Harald

  2. Re: Advise on upgrading from VC++ Standard

    Harald Collonia wrote:

    > Hi:
    >
    > I have the student edition of Visual C++, and want to upgrade. My goal for
    > upgrading is to get compiler optimization, among other things. Not much need
    > or interest for doing web-based apps. Mainly executables for WINDOWS XP.
    >
    > I have found VC++ Professional (Mfg # 659-00133 Full Version) at
    > MicroWarehouse for $949. Atomic Park has it for $399 ((PN: 048-00210). Why
    > the big price difference? Any pitfalls I should be aware of? Any advise is
    > greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Harald

    The $398 price is for Visual C++ version 6. It's 5 or 6 years old. If
    you are already using version 6 and the books you have use that
    generation then it's a good deal. The .NET 2003 version has a better
    compiler (more standards compliant) but a different and more awkward IDE.

    --
    Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

  3. Re: Advise on upgrading from VC++ Standard

    Thanks, Scott!

    "Scott McPhillips [MVP]" wrote in message
    > Harald Collonia wrote:
    >
    > > Hi:
    > >
    > > I have the student edition of Visual C++, and want to upgrade. My goal

    for
    > > upgrading is to get compiler optimization, among other things. Not much

    need
    > > or interest for doing web-based apps. Mainly executables for WINDOWS XP.
    > >
    > > I have found VC++ Professional (Mfg # 659-00133 Full Version) at
    > > MicroWarehouse for $949. Atomic Park has it for $399 ((PN: 048-00210).

    Why
    > > the big price difference? Any pitfalls I should be aware of? Any advise

    is
    > > greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Harald
    > >

    > The $398 price is for Visual C++ version 6. It's 5 or 6 years old. If
    > you are already using version 6 and the books you have use that
    > generation then it's a good deal. The .NET 2003 version has a better
    > compiler (more standards compliant) but a different and more awkward IDE.
    >
    > --
    > Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

+ Reply to Thread