Regarding CreateMutexW and CreateMutexA - Programmer

This is a discussion on Regarding CreateMutexW and CreateMutexA - Programmer ; Hi, When you have a CreateMutex what is the use of CreateMutexW and CreateMutexA?? Are they available only for specific platforms?? Where can I get more information on this?? MSDN only talks of CreateMutexW. It says "CreateMutexW is supported by ...

  1. Regarding CreateMutexW and CreateMutexA

    Hi,

    When you have a CreateMutex what is the use of CreateMutexW and
    CreateMutexA?? Are they available only for specific platforms?? Where
    can I get more information on this??

    MSDN only talks of CreateMutexW. It says
    "CreateMutexW is supported by the Microsoft Layer for Unicode." on
    platforms
    Windows Me/98/95.

    Couldn't find any mention of CreateMutexA.

    Thanks and Regards,
    M Shetty

  2. Re: Regarding CreateMutexW and CreateMutexA

    mshetty wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > When you have a CreateMutex what is the use of CreateMutexW and
    > CreateMutexA?? Are they available only for specific platforms?? Where
    > can I get more information on this??
    >
    > MSDN only talks of CreateMutexW. It says
    > "CreateMutexW is supported by the Microsoft Layer for Unicode." on
    > platforms
    > Windows Me/98/95.
    >
    > Couldn't find any mention of CreateMutexA.
    >
    > Thanks and Regards,
    > M Shetty

    You can build your programs to use ASCII chars (1 byte) or UNICODE chars
    (2 bytes). UNICODE chars and strings permit most international
    characters to be used in text.

    Your code should call CreateMutex. If you #define _UNICODE in your
    program then your calls to CreateMutex are transformed into calls to
    CreateMutexW, which accepts UNICODE strings. If you don't #define
    _UNICODE then your calls to CreateMutex are transformed into calls to
    CreateMutexA, which accepts ASCII strings.

    --
    Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

+ Reply to Thread