Help with initial project planning wanted - Programmer

This is a discussion on Help with initial project planning wanted - Programmer ; Hi. I am an experienced unix programmer who has lots of newbie questions when writing windows programs. I have to implement a new windows program that is a general purpose project management tool for people in the building, finance, and ...

  1. Help with initial project planning wanted

    Hi.

    I am an experienced unix programmer who has lots of newbie questions
    when writing windows programs.

    I have to implement a new windows program that is a general purpose
    project management tool for people in the building, finance, and
    property development industries.

    The fixed decisions are that it will be written in C++ using MS Visual
    C++ 6.0. It uses "the outlook address book" as its contact management
    system, via MAPI. Other data will be "stored in a central database".

    I am now thinking about the database. I want to be as flexible as
    possible, for example the customer might want his data stored in the
    MySQL server with all the companies other data, or Oracle, Ingress, SQL
    Server. Whatever, we want to let the customer use what they have already
    paid for.

    Or maybe it will just be in an Access file. Or in an LDAP server, or XML
    files stored locally.

    Now how does all this work in the windows world, given that my program
    will have to create its data store the first time its run? Is ODBC, ADO
    or DAO the right way to go here? Is Visual FoxPro going to help me? If
    I make it so that the user has no external DB system, and I decide that
    the default is to make local files, and I decide that the format is
    ..mdb, do they need access? Or can I ship a dll with my app that works
    with these files?

    Thanks a lot

    Kurt Häusler
    Integer Software

  2. Re: Help with initial project planning wanted

    DAO is being made obsolete. ODBC is fine but not very powerful. Your best
    bet is to go with ADO and use a wrapper class. Assuming similar database
    capabilities/functionality, your biggest difference is the connection string
    (between the various brands of DB like MySQL and Access). Creating your
    database/datastore programmatically is tedious job - it's often quicker to
    ship an empty copy, which you can duplicate with a couple lines of code. If
    you're just creating new tables in an existing database (programmatically),
    then consider the table creation as a separate program/exe (perhaps as part
    of your setup.exe?)

    Free software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com

    "Kurt Häusler" wrote in message
    > Hi.
    >
    > I am an experienced unix programmer who has lots of newbie questions
    > when writing windows programs.
    >
    > I have to implement a new windows program that is a general purpose
    > project management tool for people in the building, finance, and
    > property development industries.
    >
    > The fixed decisions are that it will be written in C++ using MS Visual
    > C++ 6.0. It uses "the outlook address book" as its contact management
    > system, via MAPI. Other data will be "stored in a central database".
    >
    > I am now thinking about the database. I want to be as flexible as
    > possible, for example the customer might want his data stored in the
    > MySQL server with all the companies other data, or Oracle, Ingress, SQL
    > Server. Whatever, we want to let the customer use what they have already
    > paid for.
    >
    > Or maybe it will just be in an Access file. Or in an LDAP server, or XML
    > files stored locally.
    >
    > Now how does all this work in the windows world, given that my program
    > will have to create its data store the first time its run? Is ODBC, ADO
    > or DAO the right way to go here? Is Visual FoxPro going to help me? If
    > I make it so that the user has no external DB system, and I decide that
    > the default is to make local files, and I decide that the format is
    > .mdb, do they need access? Or can I ship a dll with my app that works
    > with these files?
    >
    > Thanks a lot
    >
    > Kurt Häusler
    > Integer Software