missing DLLs - Programmer

This is a discussion on missing DLLs - Programmer ; Hi. I am fairly new to Windows programming, so forgive me if this is a stupid question. Basically, I am trying to write a simple program that pops up a window and shuts down the system. I've gotten it to ...

  1. missing DLLs

    Hi.

    I am fairly new to Windows programming, so forgive me if this is a
    stupid question.

    Basically, I am trying to write a simple program that pops up a window
    and shuts down the system. I've gotten it to work on my main machine,
    but when I try it on another test machine I get some "missing DLL"
    error. Could someone tell me the standard protocol for resolving
    these issues? Is there any way i can make an EXE file that has all
    the code built into it so that the program doesn't rely at all on
    DLLs?

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: missing DLLs

    mfc wrote:
    > Hi.
    >
    > I am fairly new to Windows programming, so forgive me if this is a
    > stupid question.
    >
    > Basically, I am trying to write a simple program that pops up a window
    > and shuts down the system. I've gotten it to work on my main machine,
    > but when I try it on another test machine I get some "missing DLL"
    > error. Could someone tell me the standard protocol for resolving
    > these issues? Is there any way i can make an EXE file that has all
    > the code built into it so that the program doesn't rely at all on
    > DLLs?
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks.

    There is a program that comes with VC named Depends. It will show you
    what DLLs your exe needs.

    Your project settingss specify how your program will access the MFC
    library. If you set it to statically link MFC then you won't need the
    DLLs - the code will be included in your exe. Note that you will need
    to change this setting twice. Once for the debug configuration and
    again for the release configuration. There are similar settings for
    accessing the C runtime library. Those DLLs are usually not a problem,
    but if you want to be sure you can also statically link in the C runtime
    library.

    This just gets rid of the requirement to have the MFC and C rtl DLLs.
    All Windows programs need the standard Windows DLLs. In effect, Windows
    is three DLLs as far as your program is concerned.

    --
    Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

  3. Re: missing DLLs

    Scott:

    Thanks for your reply. I was wondering about the same thing. However, I
    can't find where to change these settings. In VC++ 6.0, when I go to Project
    Settings, General tab, I see a drop-down list called Microsoft Foundation
    Classes, but when I drop this list down, there is only one option: "Use MFC
    in a shared DLL". What am I doing wrong?

    Thanks for your help,
    Harald

    "Scott McPhillips [MVP]" wrote in message
    > mfc wrote:
    > > Hi.
    > >
    > > I am fairly new to Windows programming, so forgive me if this is a
    > > stupid question.
    > >
    > > Basically, I am trying to write a simple program that pops up a window
    > > and shuts down the system. I've gotten it to work on my main machine,
    > > but when I try it on another test machine I get some "missing DLL"
    > > error. Could someone tell me the standard protocol for resolving
    > > these issues? Is there any way i can make an EXE file that has all
    > > the code built into it so that the program doesn't rely at all on
    > > DLLs?
    > >
    > > Any help would be appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    > There is a program that comes with VC named Depends. It will show you
    > what DLLs your exe needs.
    >
    > Your project settingss specify how your program will access the MFC
    > library. If you set it to statically link MFC then you won't need the
    > DLLs - the code will be included in your exe. Note that you will need
    > to change this setting twice. Once for the debug configuration and
    > again for the release configuration. There are similar settings for
    > accessing the C runtime library. Those DLLs are usually not a problem,
    > but if you want to be sure you can also statically link in the C runtime
    > library.
    >
    > This just gets rid of the requirement to have the MFC and C rtl DLLs.
    > All Windows programs need the standard Windows DLLs. In effect, Windows
    > is three DLLs as far as your program is concerned.
    >
    > --
    > Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

  4. Re: missing DLLs

    Harald Collonia wrote:
    > Scott:
    >
    > Thanks for your reply. I was wondering about the same thing. However, I
    > can't find where to change these settings. In VC++ 6.0, when I go to Project
    > Settings, General tab, I see a drop-down list called Microsoft Foundation
    > Classes, but when I drop this list down, there is only one option: "Use MFC
    > in a shared DLL". What am I doing wrong?
    >
    > Thanks for your help,
    > Harald

    The same list in my VC++ 6.0 also provides "Use MFC in a static
    library". I would guess the difference is that you have the "standard"
    edition instead of "professional" or "enterprise" editions of VC. The
    standard edition used to be called (more accurately) the "student"
    edition. I think it also leaves out compiler optimization.

    --
    Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

  5. Re: missing DLLs

    Yep, that's what I have, the Standard Edition. Serves me right, I'm a lousy
    student. I will check in buying an upgrade to "professional".
    Thanks again!

    > Harald Collonia wrote:
    > > Scott:
    > >
    > > Thanks for your reply. I was wondering about the same thing. However, I
    > > can't find where to change these settings. In VC++ 6.0, when I go to

    Project
    > > Settings, General tab, I see a drop-down list called Microsoft

    Foundation
    > > Classes, but when I drop this list down, there is only one option: "Use

    MFC
    > > in a shared DLL". What am I doing wrong?
    > >
    > > Thanks for your help,
    > > Harald

    > The same list in my VC++ 6.0 also provides "Use MFC in a static
    > library". I would guess the difference is that you have the "standard"
    > edition instead of "professional" or "enterprise" editions of VC. The
    > standard edition used to be called (more accurately) the "student"
    > edition. I think it also leaves out compiler optimization.
    >
    > --
    > Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

+ Reply to Thread