Deleting IDC, but how? - Programmer

This is a discussion on Deleting IDC, but how? - Programmer ; Good morning: My app is Dialog-based, VC++ 6. One of the dialogs has an IDC which I no longer needed, so I highlighted it, hit the DELETE key, and it was gone. Of course I made sure that there was ...

  1. Deleting IDC, but how?

    Good morning:

    My app is Dialog-based, VC++ 6. One of the dialogs has an IDC which I no
    longer needed, so I highlighted it, hit the DELETE key, and it was gone. Of
    course I made sure that there was no other reference to this IDC. However,
    the program crashes after 10 to 20 minutes. I checked for the IDC and found
    it was still part of resource.h. I manually deleted it there and the program
    runs fine now. My question: What is the proper method of deleting an IDC,
    using VC++ 6?

    Thanks in adavnce to all,

    Harald

  2. Re: Deleting IDC, but how?

    I think you're being a bit cryptic - using a shorthand that doesn't quite
    explain your problem.

    I think what you're saying is that you deleted a control off the dialog, and
    then the app crashed until you went into the resource.h and deleted the
    #define.

    1 - the better way to delete a define, is to go to View->Resource Symbols
    and delete it from there. (it tells you where that #define is used)

    2 - I doubt that the presence of a #define would cause a crash - likely you
    either had a corrupt compile, or you still have the problem somewhere.

    Free software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com

    "Harald Collonia" wrote in message
    news:UcNrb.19718$Oo4.17840@newsread1.news.atl.eart hlink.net...
    > Good morning:
    >
    > My app is Dialog-based, VC++ 6. One of the dialogs has an IDC which I no
    > longer needed, so I highlighted it, hit the DELETE key, and it was gone.

    Of
    > course I made sure that there was no other reference to this IDC. However,
    > the program crashes after 10 to 20 minutes. I checked for the IDC and

    found
    > it was still part of resource.h. I manually deleted it there and the

    program
    > runs fine now. My question: What is the proper method of deleting an IDC,
    > using VC++ 6?
    >
    > Thanks in adavnce to all,
    >
    > Harald

  3. Re: Deleting IDC, but how?

    "Baxter" wrote in message
    > I think you're being a bit cryptic - using a shorthand that doesn't quite
    > explain your problem.
    >
    > I think what you're saying is that you deleted a control off the dialog,

    and
    > then the app crashed until you went into the resource.h and deleted the
    > #define.

    Yes, this is exactly what happened.

    > 1 - the better way to delete a define, is to go to View->Resource Symbols
    > and delete it from there. (it tells you where that #define is used)

    Thank you so much, this answers my question. I wasn't aware of this
    View->Resource Symbols. This is neat. Another question in this regard. If in
    View->Resource Symbols there is no check-mark for In Use, can I and should I
    go ahead and delete those resource symbols which are not used?

    > 2 - I doubt that the presence of a #define would cause a crash - likely

    you
    > either had a corrupt compile, or you still have the problem somewhere.

    It compiled several times with 0 Errors, 0 Warnings, and the crash could be
    reproduced several times. Now, with the #define deleted, it is working
    stable.

    Again, thank for your help.

    > --
    > Free software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com
    >

    > "Harald Collonia" wrote in message
    > news:UcNrb.19718$Oo4.17840@newsread1.news.atl.eart hlink.net...
    > > Good morning:
    > >
    > > My app is Dialog-based, VC++ 6. One of the dialogs has an IDC which I no
    > > longer needed, so I highlighted it, hit the DELETE key, and it was gone.

    > Of
    > > course I made sure that there was no other reference to this IDC.

    However,
    > > the program crashes after 10 to 20 minutes. I checked for the IDC and

    > found
    > > it was still part of resource.h. I manually deleted it there and the

    > program
    > > runs fine now. My question: What is the proper method of deleting an

    IDC,
    > > using VC++ 6?
    > >
    > > Thanks in adavnce to all,
    > >
    > > Harald

  4. Re: Deleting IDC, but how?

    news:SYPrb.19882$Oo4.4079@newsread1.news.atl.earth link.net...

    > "Baxter" wrote in message
    > > I think you're being a bit cryptic - using a shorthand that doesn't

    quite
    > > explain your problem.
    > >
    > > I think what you're saying is that you deleted a control off the dialog,

    > and
    > > then the app crashed until you went into the resource.h and deleted the
    > > #define.

    > Yes, this is exactly what happened.
    >
    > > 1 - the better way to delete a define, is to go to View->Resource

    Symbols
    > > and delete it from there. (it tells you where that #define is used)

    > Thank you so much, this answers my question. I wasn't aware of this
    > View->Resource Symbols. This is neat. Another question in this regard. If

    in
    > View->Resource Symbols there is no check-mark for In Use, can I and should

    > go ahead and delete those resource symbols which are not used?

    I don't think you can delete a Resource Symbol if it is in use.

    > > 2 - I doubt that the presence of a #define would cause a crash - likely

    > you
    > > either had a corrupt compile, or you still have the problem somewhere.

    > It compiled several times with 0 Errors, 0 Warnings, and the crash could

    be
    > reproduced several times. Now, with the #define deleted, it is working
    > stable.

    My guess is that you've got Incremental compile turned on - deleting the
    #define from the .h file caused a complete rebuild (instead of a partial
    rebuild).

+ Reply to Thread