New to Windows programming from Mac - advice sought - Programmer

This is a discussion on New to Windows programming from Mac - advice sought - Programmer ; I've been programming for the Mac using Powerplant, the C++ app framework, and have a couple of shareware programs on the web. I would now like to 'convert' them to Windows. I've started already, and so far I have been ...

  1. New to Windows programming from Mac - advice sought

    I've been programming for the Mac using Powerplant, the C++ app framework,
    and have a couple of shareware programs on the web. I would now like to
    'convert' them to Windows. I've started already, and so far I have been
    using a version of Codewarrior that came free on a CD last year. This is
    fine because I was used to Codewarrior on the Mac, and the MFC classes are
    similar to Powerplant.
    But is there anything I should know about in the windows programming world?
    I read somewhere that MFC days 'were numbered'. Should I be targetting
    Windows XP in some way or is that not an issue? Also, a resource editor came
    on the CD, but there doesn't seem to be any graphic way of quickly designing
    a normal Window, as there was with 'Constructor' that came with Codewarrior
    for the Mac. Should I get Microsoft Visual C++?
    As usual any replies gratefully received.
    Greg Chapman

  2. Re: New to Windows programming from Mac - advice sought

    MFC's "days are numbered" only in terms of ongoing development. It's a
    mature product. Not much more remains to be done.

    As to targeting XP - there's not much reason to target a specific version,
    write your software to run on any version of Windows.

    Visual C++ is pretty much the standard for Windows development in C++.

    Free software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com

    "Greg Chapman" wrote in message
    > I've been programming for the Mac using Powerplant, the C++ app framework,
    > and have a couple of shareware programs on the web. I would now like to
    > 'convert' them to Windows. I've started already, and so far I have been
    > using a version of Codewarrior that came free on a CD last year. This is
    > fine because I was used to Codewarrior on the Mac, and the MFC classes are
    > similar to Powerplant.
    > But is there anything I should know about in the windows programming

    world?
    > I read somewhere that MFC days 'were numbered'. Should I be targetting
    > Windows XP in some way or is that not an issue? Also, a resource editor

    came
    > on the CD, but there doesn't seem to be any graphic way of quickly

    designing
    > a normal Window, as there was with 'Constructor' that came with

    Codewarrior
    > for the Mac. Should I get Microsoft Visual C++?
    > As usual any replies gratefully received.
    > Greg Chapman

  3. Re: New to Windows programming from Mac - advice sought

    In article <1068125031.1582.0@iris.uk.clara.net>,
    "Greg Chapman" wrote:

    > But is there anything I should know about in the windows programming world?
    > I read somewhere that MFC days 'were numbered'. Should I be targetting
    > Windows XP in some way or is that not an issue? Also, a resource editor came
    > on the CD, but there doesn't seem to be any graphic way of quickly designing
    > a normal Window, as there was with 'Constructor' that came with Codewarrior
    > for the Mac. Should I get Microsoft Visual C++?

    Microsoft Visual C++ includes a Constructor-like resource editor, that
    emits .rc files that are compatible with Metrowerks' resource compiler
    for windows.

    There is a fairly inexpensive converter product for translating
    PowerPlant source code to MFC: PP2MFC

    Since you are rewriting your program, you might consider moving to
    Whisper, CPlat, or some other cross-platform C++ framework.

+ Reply to Thread