What registry entries can apps read/write to? - Programmer

This is a discussion on What registry entries can apps read/write to? - Programmer ; Hi I am in the process of updating an old app so that it can be used on networks. The original app is a 'try before you buy' style app that allows the user 21 days of full functionality before ...

  1. What registry entries can apps read/write to?

    Hi

    I am in the process of updating an old app so that it can be used on
    networks. The original app is a 'try before you buy' style app that allows
    the user 21 days of full functionality before requiring to be licensed. This
    was achieved by reading/writing to keys in the registry. However, several
    people have suggested that the app will not be able to write to just any
    keys as the network OS would prevent it.

    Would I be able to write to any of these?
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Licenses*\\
    or
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\*\\
    or
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\*\\

    Or is somewhere else best?

  2. Re: What registry entries can apps read/write to?

    Further to my original post:

    I should add that the registry keys are written to by my app when it is
    running.

    The end users are students in colleges and who would not have any admin
    rights and normally cannot run exe files or install software ect.

    Thanks again for any help given

    "Jan" wrote in message
    > Hi
    >

    > I am in the process of updating an old app so that it can be used on
    > networks. The original app is a 'try before you buy' style app that allows
    > the user 21 days of full functionality before requiring to be licensed.
    > This was achieved by reading/writing to keys in the registry. However,
    > several people have suggested that the app will not be able to write to
    > just any keys as the network OS would prevent it.
    >

    > Would I be able to write to any of these?
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Licenses*\\
    > or
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\*\\
    > or
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\*\\
    >
    > Or is somewhere else best?

  3. Re: What registry entries can apps read/write to?

    It depends on the access level of the user who is logged in when the thing
    is "run".

    --

    Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
    www.wandtv.com

    "Jan" wrote in message
    > Hi
    >

    > I am in the process of updating an old app so that it can be used on
    > networks. The original app is a 'try before you buy' style app that allows
    > the user 21 days of full functionality before requiring to be licensed.

    This
    > was achieved by reading/writing to keys in the registry. However, several
    > people have suggested that the app will not be able to write to just any
    > keys as the network OS would prevent it.
    >

    > Would I be able to write to any of these?
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Licenses*\\
    > or
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\*\\
    > or
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\*\\
    >
    > Or is somewhere else best?

  4. Re: What registry entries can apps read/write to?

    Hi

    Hmmm so is it possible to have the situation where no reg keys are available
    to write to? Surely these days most software uses the registry for
    something? Is there a 'safe bet' for any particular key?

    Thanks

    "Phillip Windell" <@.> wrote in message
    > It depends on the access level of the user who is logged in when the thing
    > is "run".
    >

    > --
    >
    > Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
    > www.wandtv.com
    >

    > "Jan" wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >>

    >> I am in the process of updating an old app so that it can be used on
    >> networks. The original app is a 'try before you buy' style app that
    >> allows
    >> the user 21 days of full functionality before requiring to be licensed.

    > This
    >> was achieved by reading/writing to keys in the registry. However,
    >> several
    >> people have suggested that the app will not be able to write to just any
    >> keys as the network OS would prevent it.
    >>

    >> Would I be able to write to any of these?
    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Licenses*\\
    >> or
    >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\*\\
    >> or
    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\*\\
    >>
    >> Or is somewhere else best?

  5. Re: What registry entries can apps read/write to?

    Users can write to thier own "Current User Keys".