file is open over the network - how can I tell which machine has it open? - Programmer

This is a discussion on file is open over the network - how can I tell which machine has it open? - Programmer ; Hi, We have many machines which open files on our server. Occaissionally, a given file is already opened (using fopen()) and when another user tries to open it, the fopen() fails. What I would like to know is how can ...

  1. file is open over the network - how can I tell which machine has it open?

    Hi,

    We have many machines which open files on our server. Occaissionally,
    a given file is already opened (using fopen()) and when another user
    tries to open it, the fopen() fails. What I would like to know is how
    can I find out what machine currently has the file open. The user
    would be good as well but we all use the same user name. Is there a
    Windows API function call that I can use?

    Thanks,

    Ted

  2. Re: file is open over the network - how can I tell which machine has it open?

    "Ted Sung" wrote in message
    news:86dea8f5.0402190723.f221e4c@posting.google.co m...
    > Hi,
    >
    > We have many machines which open files on our server. Occaissionally,
    > a given file is already opened (using fopen()) and when another user
    > tries to open it, the fopen() fails. What I would like to know is how
    > can I find out what machine currently has the file open. The user
    > would be good as well but we all use the same user name. Is there a
    > Windows API function call that I can use?

    Well.. that would be a combination of some of the Unicode only
    functions with names starting with Net. Some useful ones could
    be NetSessionEnum(), NetSessionGetInfo(), NetShare*(), etc.
    Also check WNet* functions...

    - Sten

  3. Re: file is open over the network - how can I tell which machine has it open?

    That's what I thought but there is not info regarding the MACHINE name that's
    returned from any of these functions.

    "Sten Westerback" wrote in message news:<6r5%b.10330$g4.207342@news2.nokia.com>...
    > "Ted Sung" wrote in message
    > news:86dea8f5.0402190723.f221e4c@posting.google.co m...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > We have many machines which open files on our server. Occaissionally,
    > > a given file is already opened (using fopen()) and when another user
    > > tries to open it, the fopen() fails. What I would like to know is how
    > > can I find out what machine currently has the file open. The user
    > > would be good as well but we all use the same user name. Is there a
    > > Windows API function call that I can use?

    > Well.. that would be a combination of some of the Unicode only
    > functions with names starting with Net. Some useful ones could
    > be NetSessionEnum(), NetSessionGetInfo(), NetShare*(), etc.
    > Also check WNet* functions...
    >
    > - Sten

+ Reply to Thread