I know the problems with the old win9x dlls and all that but why does
Windows XP seem to have so many problems with winsock corruption. Windows
2000 has less of these problems and at least you can uninstall/reinstall
TCP/IP.

The netsh thing doesn't work if the winsock is actually corrupted... Plus
Microsoft's own knoweldge base has fixes like copying registry keys from
known working PC with the same version of Windows XP... So why does this
happen?

I myself haven't had this problem but I do work with PCs and see a lot of
winsock problems with Windows XP....