XP versus NT windows sockets with TCP/IP - Programmer

This is a discussion on XP versus NT windows sockets with TCP/IP - Programmer ; I'm trying to get an application working under windows XP that was working under NT without too many problems. It uses winsock2 library for sockets and opens a TCP/IP connection. Its written in Visual C++ 6.0. For some reason the ...

  1. XP versus NT windows sockets with TCP/IP

    I'm trying to get an application working under windows XP that was
    working under NT without too many problems. It uses winsock2 library
    for sockets and opens a TCP/IP connection. Its written in Visual C++
    6.0. For some reason the communications seem to hang after sending a
    few hundred bytes. It seems as though the thread thats doing the
    sending is suspending. Does any body know how to tell if a thread is
    suspended using the IDE? Are there any differences between XP and NT
    with how threads and sockets are handled?

    Thanks for any input.

    Greg

  2. Re: XP versus NT windows sockets with TCP/IP

    Gregory S Topmiller wrote:
    > I'm trying to get an application working under windows XP that was
    > working under NT without too many problems. It uses winsock2 library
    > for sockets and opens a TCP/IP connection. Its written in Visual C++
    > 6.0. For some reason the communications seem to hang after sending a
    > few hundred bytes. It seems as though the thread thats doing the
    > sending is suspending. Does any body know how to tell if a thread is
    > suspended using the IDE? Are there any differences between XP and NT
    > with how threads and sockets are handled?
    >
    > Thanks for any input.
    >
    > Greg

    If you are running the program under the debugger then when it hangs you
    can use the Break command on the debug menu, then examine the debugger's
    stack window for each thread. This will show you where the thread is stuck.

    --
    Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

  3. Re: XP versus NT windows sockets with TCP/IP

    Thanks for the response. The recieve thread is done as a polling loop
    that sleeps for 62 millisecs
    if there is no data on the socket determined by a select socket function
    with no timeout. I seem to have fixed the problem by putting in a sleep
    in the transmit thread before sending each SCPI message down the TCP
    pipe. It's interesting that when running NT this is not a problem but
    under XP it is. Does XP use round robin scheduling or first come first
    serve algorithm for its scheduling of threads?

    Thanks.

    Scott McPhillips [MVP] wrote:

    > Gregory S Topmiller wrote:
    >
    >> I'm trying to get an application working under windows XP that was
    >> working under NT without too many problems. It uses winsock2 library
    >> for sockets and opens a TCP/IP connection. Its written in Visual C++
    >> 6.0. For some reason the communications seem to hang after sending a
    >> few hundred bytes. It seems as though the thread thats doing the
    >> sending is suspending. Does any body know how to tell if a thread is
    >> suspended using the IDE? Are there any differences between XP and NT
    >> with how threads and sockets are handled?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any input.
    >>
    >> Greg
    >>

    > If you are running the program under the debugger then when it hangs
    > you can use the Break command on the debug menu, then examine the
    > debugger's stack window for each thread. This will show you where the
    > thread is stuck.

+ Reply to Thread