Richedit and the new XP visual styles - Programmer

This is a discussion on Richedit and the new XP visual styles - Programmer ; Does anyone know why richedit controls still displays the old 3D border around it, while all other controls do it in the new themed style? Any ideas to make a richedit control (any version) display its border based on the ...

  1. Richedit and the new XP visual styles

    Does anyone know why richedit controls still displays the old 3D border around it, while all other controls do it in the new themed style?

    Any ideas to make a richedit control (any version) display its border based on the current theme?

    P.D. I am now seeing this trouble in the richedit controls present in this dialog while I write this message. One for "subject" and another for "newsgroups".

  2. Re: Richedit and the new XP visual styles

    My guess is that, since RichEdit is not part of the common controls, it
    didn't get updated when they added visual styles. Maybe this will get
    changed in Longhorn.

    I don't think you could enable the styled border without drawing it
    yourself -- you could turn off the border in the richedit, then enclose it
    in a border drawn using the theme APIs (possibly DrawThemeEdge).

    --
    Tim Robinson (MVP, Windows SDK)
    http://www.themobius.co.uk/

    "Alfredo G.-Morán" wrote in message
    news:iYVKb.2435388$uj6.5930134@telenews.teleline.e s...
    Does anyone know why richedit controls still displays the old 3D border
    around it, while all other controls do it in the new themed style?

    Any ideas to make a richedit control (any version) display its border
    based on the current theme?

    P.D. I am now seeing this trouble in the richedit controls present in this
    dialog while I write this message. One for "subject" and another for
    "newsgroups".

  3. Re: Richedit and the new XP visual styles

    Thank you very much, Tim, but Office 2003 have themed RichEdit controls in
    many dialogs. I could see it with the Spy++ utility. For example, in this
    dialog: Tools ->
    Options -> Security (tab) you can see a "RichEdit20W" control with the new
    XP visual styles.

    "Tim Robinson" escribió en el
    mensaje news:bthn59$77bbi$1@ID-103400.news.uni-berlin.de...
    > My guess is that, since RichEdit is not part of the common controls, it
    > didn't get updated when they added visual styles. Maybe this will get
    > changed in Longhorn.
    >
    > I don't think you could enable the styled border without drawing it
    > yourself -- you could turn off the border in the richedit, then enclose it
    > in a border drawn using the theme APIs (possibly DrawThemeEdge).
    >
    > --
    > Tim Robinson (MVP, Windows SDK)
    > http://www.themobius.co.uk/
    >
    > "Alfredo G.-Morán" wrote in message
    > news:iYVKb.2435388$uj6.5930134@telenews.teleline.e s...
    > Does anyone know why richedit controls still displays the old 3D

    border
    > around it, while all other controls do it in the new themed style?
    >
    > Any ideas to make a richedit control (any version) display its border
    > based on the current theme?
    >
    > P.D. I am now seeing this trouble in the richedit controls present in this
    > dialog while I write this message. One for "subject" and another for
    > "newsgroups".

  4. Re: Richedit and the new XP visual styles

    I don't have Office 2003 installed, so I can't confirm how they do it, but
    Office has traditionally ignored standard Windows controls and done them
    itself. An exception has been PowerPoint, so if PowerPoint has themed
    RichEdit controls then it may be possible.

    --

    news:Mj9Lb.2454315$uj6.5972276@telenews.teleline.e s...
    > Thank you very much, Tim, but Office 2003 have themed RichEdit controls in
    > many dialogs. I could see it with the Spy++ utility. For example, in this
    > dialog: Tools ->
    > Options -> Security (tab) you can see a "RichEdit20W" control with the new
    > XP visual styles.
    >
    > "Tim Robinson" escribió en el
    > mensaje news:bthn59$77bbi$1@ID-103400.news.uni-berlin.de...
    > > My guess is that, since RichEdit is not part of the common controls, it
    > > didn't get updated when they added visual styles. Maybe this will get
    > > changed in Longhorn.
    > >
    > > I don't think you could enable the styled border without drawing it
    > > yourself -- you could turn off the border in the richedit, then enclose

    it
    > > in a border drawn using the theme APIs (possibly DrawThemeEdge).
    > >
    > > --
    > > Tim Robinson (MVP, Windows SDK)
    > > http://www.themobius.co.uk/
    > >
    > > "Alfredo G.-Morán" wrote in message
    > > news:iYVKb.2435388$uj6.5930134@telenews.teleline.e s...
    > > Does anyone know why richedit controls still displays the old 3D

    > border
    > > around it, while all other controls do it in the new themed style?
    > >
    > > Any ideas to make a richedit control (any version) display its

    border
    > > based on the current theme?
    > >
    > > P.D. I am now seeing this trouble in the richedit controls present in

    this
    > > dialog while I write this message. One for "subject" and another for
    > > "newsgroups".

+ Reply to Thread