Code for accessing remote file structure - Programmer

This is a discussion on Code for accessing remote file structure - Programmer ; Here's what I'd like to do: Computer A is in Texas. Computer B is in Idaho. I need to use Computer A to the file system on Computer B. Both computers have Internet connections, but they won't be configured as ...

  1. Code for accessing remote file structure

    Here's what I'd like to do:
    Computer A is in Texas. Computer B is in Idaho. I need to use
    Computer A to the file system on Computer B.

    Both computers have Internet connections, but they won't be configured
    as webservers. Is there a good starting point for doing this kind of
    point-to-point stuff, or will the code have to be written from the
    ground up? This is part of a larger program, so I believe I need a
    library (preferrably with source).

    Even a buzzword or two would help me to do searches for code.

  2. Re: Code for accessing remote file structure

    Look at http://opennap.sourceforge.net/ for most famous of p2p : Napster
    Additionally look at this NG ( microsoft.public.win32.programmer.networks )
    Noah Horton [ MS ] invited all , 2 threads before your one , to webcast
    p2p overview.
    Arkady

    "__Z__" <__Z__@_notvalid.net> wrote in message
    > Here's what I'd like to do:
    > Computer A is in Texas. Computer B is in Idaho. I need to use
    > Computer A to the file system on Computer B.
    >
    > Both computers have Internet connections, but they won't be configured
    > as webservers. Is there a good starting point for doing this kind of
    > point-to-point stuff, or will the code have to be written from the
    > ground up? This is part of a larger program, so I believe I need a
    > library (preferrably with source).
    >
    > Even a buzzword or two would help me to do searches for code.

  3. Re: Code for accessing remote file structure

    __Z__ wrote:
    > Here's what I'd like to do:
    > Computer A is in Texas. Computer B is in Idaho. I need to use
    > Computer A to the file system on Computer B.
    >
    > Both computers have Internet connections, but they won't be
    > configured as webservers. Is there a good starting point for doing
    > this kind of point-to-point stuff, or will the code have to be
    > written from the ground up? This is part of a larger program, so I
    > believe I need a library (preferrably with source).
    >
    > Even a buzzword or two would help me to do searches for code.

    VPN, FTP, CIFS, NFS, WebDAV (I don't understand a requirement about not
    being web server btw.)
    This problem is probably 40 years old and you don't need to write a single
    line of code as long as you are willing to use other people's solutions.

    Eugene

  4. Re: Code for accessing remote file structure

    "__Z__" <__Z__@_notvalid.net> wrote in message
    > Here's what I'd like to do:
    > Computer A is in Texas. Computer B is in Idaho. I need to use
    > Computer A to the file system on Computer B.
    >
    > Both computers have Internet connections, but they won't be configured
    > as webservers. Is there a good starting point for doing this kind of
    > point-to-point stuff, or will the code have to be written from the
    > ground up? This is part of a larger program, so I believe I need a
    > library (preferrably with source).
    >
    > Even a buzzword or two would help me to do searches for code.

    You can try a webservice that expose the file structure.
    What about creating a VPN of both computers? That would allow you to "see"
    the other computer as:
    \\computer_in_idaho

+ Reply to Thread