Winsock 2 SPI: suitable for transparent data manipulation? - Programmer

This is a discussion on Winsock 2 SPI: suitable for transparent data manipulation? - Programmer ; hello, i need to code a tool which intercepts data sent from upper layer applications over the network before any data is actually transmitted. (for example i want to hook "connect", "sendto", "recvfrom", etc...). this is because some data (depending ...

  1. Winsock 2 SPI: suitable for transparent data manipulation?

    hello,

    i need to code a tool which intercepts data sent from upper layer
    applications over the network before any data is actually transmitted.
    (for example i want to hook "connect", "sendto", "recvfrom", etc...).
    this is because some data (depending on the interface) has to be
    processed/altered transparently before sending.

    i'm new to windows network programming, i just read over the winsock 2
    SPI documentation and it seems to me that SPI offers what i need.

    is winsock 2 SPI the way to go?

    from what i read, i should be able to accomplish what i mentioned above
    with chained transport SPIs (a transport SPI does the data manipulation
    and then forwards the data to the "standard"-transport SPI).

    or would i want to use something else for this scenario?

    best regards,
    johannes resch

  2. Re: Winsock 2 SPI: suitable for transparent data manipulation?

    Yes , look for LSP example from Platform SDK for that
    Arkady

    "Johannes Resch" wrote in message
    > hello,
    >
    > i need to code a tool which intercepts data sent from upper layer
    > applications over the network before any data is actually transmitted.
    > (for example i want to hook "connect", "sendto", "recvfrom", etc...).
    > this is because some data (depending on the interface) has to be
    > processed/altered transparently before sending.
    >
    > i'm new to windows network programming, i just read over the winsock 2
    > SPI documentation and it seems to me that SPI offers what i need.
    >
    > is winsock 2 SPI the way to go?
    >
    > from what i read, i should be able to accomplish what i mentioned above
    > with chained transport SPIs (a transport SPI does the data manipulation
    > and then forwards the data to the "standard"-transport SPI).
    >
    > or would i want to use something else for this scenario?
    >

    > best regards,
    > johannes resch

+ Reply to Thread