M> I think the main problem is that Windows handles the console as a
M> visible area plus a scrollback buffer. In OS/2, we don't do
this.

Neither does Windows. The actual problem here is your
misunderstanding of consoles in Win32. For enlightenment, read
.
Consoles in Win32 don't have "scrollback buffers". Win32 doesn't use
an everything-is-a-1970s-Teletype paradigm, as Unices and Linux do.
Consoles don't pretend to be continuous fanfold paper, that one
"scrolls back" to. On Win32 the whole of a console screen buffer,
inside the current window or not, is directly addressible, just as on
OS/2.