Passing Data between Applications? - Programmer

This is a discussion on Passing Data between Applications? - Programmer ; Hello, All, Can anyone guide me a bit here: How would I pass data between two Windwos applications? What I want to be able to do is enter a string and set some values in one window, and then perform ...

  1. Passing Data between Applications?

    Hello, All,

    Can anyone guide me a bit here: How would I pass data between two
    Windwos applications?
    What I want to be able to do is enter a string and set some values in
    one window, and then perform a funtion in another window based on the
    string and variable values from the first window.

    Is that feasible??

    Regards,

  2. Re: Passing Data between Applications?

    On Aug 19, 12:26 am, tomasz.cic...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello, All,
    >
    > Can anyone guide me a bit here: How would I pass data between two
    > Windwos applications?
    > What I want to be able to do is enter a string and set some values in
    > one window, and then perform a funtion in another window based on the
    > string and variable values from the first window.
    >
    > Is that feasible??
    >
    > Regards,

    Hi,

    You can use the following Windows message to pass data to
    another application:

    WM_COPYDATA

    However, if your two application processes/windows are existing in
    two different address spaces, you will need to use any form of IPC
    mechanism to establish communication between them, named pipes are
    efficient, easy to use and provide secure access methods, you can
    use event objects with named pipes to signal completion and notify
    a waiting thread of the occurrence of an event.

    Kellie.

+ Reply to Thread