Making Sort By Name Default for "Add Files to Folder" and File:Open - Programmer

This is a discussion on Making Sort By Name Default for "Add Files to Folder" and File:Open - Programmer ; I am using MS Visual C++ 6.0 on Windows XP 5.1 (SP2). I create a workspace (Win32 console application) and then want to add files to my source files folder. I right click on the source files folder and choose ...

  1. Making Sort By Name Default for "Add Files to Folder" and File:Open

    I am using MS Visual C++ 6.0 on Windows XP 5.1 (SP2).

    I create a workspace (Win32 console application) and then want to add
    files to my source files folder. I right click on the source files
    folder and choose "Add Files to Folder". The folder opens but the
    files are arranged by date. I want them arranged by name. I click
    the View menu and select Details. Then I click on the resulting Name
    tag and they are arranged by name which is what I want. However, when
    I select "Add Files to Folder" again, they are arranged by date and I
    need to
    - click on Name
    every time I want them arranged by name. This is really irritating
    since I make frequent calls to "Add Files to Folder". I also have the
    same problem when I call Filepen. The icons are arranged by date.

    Is there something I can do to cause the icons to always be arranged
    by name as soon as I select "Add Files to Folder" of File:Open?

    Many thanks in advance,
    Peter.

  2. Re: Making Sort By Name Default for "Add Files to Folder" and File:Open

    On Jun 24, 1:04 am, PeterOut wrote:
    > I am using MS Visual C++ 6.0 on Windows XP 5.1 (SP2).
    >
    > I create a workspace (Win32 console application) and then want to add
    > files to my source files folder. I right click on the source files
    > folder and choose "Add Files to Folder". The folder opens but the
    > files are arranged by date. I want them arranged by name. I click
    > the View menu and select Details. Then I click on the resulting Name
    > tag and they are arranged by name which is what I want. However, when
    > I select "Add Files to Folder" again, they are arranged by date and I
    > need to
    > - click on Name
    > every time I want them arranged by name. This is really irritating
    > since I make frequent calls to "Add Files to Folder". I also have the
    > same problem when I call Filepen. The icons are arranged by date.
    >
    > Is there something I can do to cause the icons to always be arranged
    > by name as soon as I select "Add Files to Folder" of File:Open?
    >
    > Many thanks in advance,
    > Peter.

    Very interesting question, i think its something related to tweak
    around registry. Maybe local user->Visual Studio ;-)

    Let see what good it can bring with cross-posting.

    ali

  3. Re: Making Sort By Name Default for "Add Files to Folder" and File:Open

    On Jun 23, 1:04 pm, PeterOut wrote:
    > I am using MS Visual C++ 6.0 on Windows XP 5.1 (SP2).
    >
    > I create a workspace (Win32 console application) and then want to add
    > files to my source files folder. I right click on the source files
    > folder and choose "Add Files to Folder". The folder opens but the
    > files are arranged by date. I want them arranged by name. I click
    > the View menu and select Details. Then I click on the resulting Name
    > tag and they are arranged by name which is what I want. However, when
    > I select "Add Files to Folder" again, they are arranged by date and I
    > need to
    > - click on Name
    > every time I want them arranged by name. This is really irritating
    > since I make frequent calls to "Add Files to Folder". I also have the
    > same problem when I call Filepen. The icons are arranged by date.
    >
    > Is there something I can do to cause the icons to always be arranged
    > by name as soon as I select "Add Files to Folder" of File:Open?

    Answer: Set "Sort by Name" as the default for Windows Explorer.

+ Reply to Thread