Good Book on Visual Studio with C++ - Programmer

This is a discussion on Good Book on Visual Studio with C++ - Programmer ; Hi I'm used to developping C++ applications with Linux/GCC. Now I need to use Visual Studio (Pro 2005) to develop large C++ applications. I would like to find a good book explaining the principles of C++ development on Windows, with ...

  1. Good Book on Visual Studio with C++

    Hi

    I'm used to developping C++ applications with Linux/GCC.

    Now I need to use Visual Studio (Pro 2005) to develop
    large C++ applications.

    I would like to find a good book explaining the principles of
    C++ development on Windows, with Visual Studio (but not a book
    on C++ language)

    Any advice ?

    CL

  2. Re: Good Book on Visual Studio with C++

    On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 15:01:34 +0200, Conan Lord
    wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I'm used to developping C++ applications with Linux/GCC.
    >
    >Now I need to use Visual Studio (Pro 2005) to develop
    >large C++ applications.
    >
    >I would like to find a good book explaining the principles of
    >C++ development on Windows, with Visual Studio (but not a book
    >on C++ language)

    The "native" API for Windows is Win 32. It is written for C. Microsoft
    and several others have provided frameworks that add C+ wrappers. If
    you want to use one of them, you should get a book on it. The usual
    recommendation for books on Win32 is Petzold or Petzold and Yao. I
    prefer Rector and Newcomer. I just used google
    (http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search) to look up
    book
    in comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32 and got 6250 hits. I took a
    quick look and saw several recommendations in the first few.

    >Any advice ?

    Requesting replies by email rather than in the newsgroup(s) is
    generally frowned upon. Especially when done in the background (I'm
    not sure about correct terminology, but you did something to change
    the choices when I started to post this reply, and I didn't notice
    until I was about to reply.)

    >CL

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    20 Park Plaza, Suite 400
    Boston, MA 02116
    www.penfact.com

  3. Re: Good Book on Visual Studio with C++

    On Apr 30, 11:01 pm, Conan Lord wrote:

    > I would like to find a good book explaining the principles of
    > C++ development on Windows

    Here is a link to a tutorial that IMHO does a good job of showing
    how to develop for Windows using the C++ language:

    http://www.zeusedit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1141

    Jussi Jumppanen
    Author: Zeus for Windows IDE
    http://www.zeusedit.com