Bringing an application to the front - Programmer

This is a discussion on Bringing an application to the front - Programmer ; Given an application's process ID, how can I bring the entire application (and all of its Windows, not a specific window) to the front? I'd like an Win32 C API answer if possible. I've seen references to "AppActivate" for Visual ...

  1. Bringing an application to the front

    Given an application's process ID, how can I bring the entire
    application (and all of its Windows, not a specific window) to the
    front?

    I'd like an Win32 C API answer if possible.

    I've seen references to "AppActivate" for Visual Basic (or is it WSH?).
    Is there a Win32 C API equivalent?

    - Paul

  2. Re: Bringing an application to the front

    "Paul J. Lucas" wrote in
    message news:v7jLh.3969$Qw.2462@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net ...
    > Given an application's process ID, how can I bring the entire
    > application (and all of its Windows, not a specific window) to the
    > front?
    >
    > I'd like an Win32 C API answer if possible.

    First you need to find the overlapped main window of the application. If you
    knew to Caption text and/or Class name of the window then you would use
    GetWindow().
    But knowning only the process ID i think you will need to enumerate all top
    level (EnumWindows) and call GetWindowThreadProcessId to see if you find a
    window that was created by the given process.

    > I've seen references to "AppActivate" for Visual Basic (or is it WSH?).

    Yes, the reference shows such methods but they may be based on internal
    storage of metadata...

    > Is there a Win32 C API equivalent?

    Not that i have bumped into.

    - Sten