Visual Studio 2005 (.NET) - Programmer

This is a discussion on Visual Studio 2005 (.NET) - Programmer ; Hi, I've just installed Visual Studio 2005 (VC++ 8) on my Vista 64 box, expecting it to be a 64-bit compiler. But I find that sizeof(unsigned long) is 4 bytes. Where did I screw up ? (I actually downloaded, installed, ...

  1. Visual Studio 2005 (.NET)

    Hi,

    I've just installed Visual Studio 2005 (VC++ 8) on my Vista 64 box,
    expecting it to be a 64-bit compiler. But I find that sizeof(unsigned long)
    is 4 bytes. Where did I screw up ?

    (I actually downloaded, installed, and registered "Visual C++ 2005" from:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/ex...s/default.aspx )

    Cheers,
    Rob

  2. Re: Visual Studio 2005 (.NET)

    Sisyphus wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've just installed Visual Studio 2005 (VC++ 8) on my Vista 64 box,
    > expecting it to be a 64-bit compiler. But I find that sizeof(unsigned
    > long) is 4 bytes. Where did I screw up ?

    That's normal. The 64 bit compiler uses 32 bit ints. See...

    --
    Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

  3. Re: Visual Studio 2005 (.NET)

    "Scott McPhillips [MVP]" wrote in message
    > Sisyphus wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I've just installed Visual Studio 2005 (VC++ 8) on my Vista 64 box,
    >> expecting it to be a 64-bit compiler. But I find that sizeof(unsigned
    >> long) is 4 bytes. Where did I screw up ?

    > That's normal. The 64 bit compiler uses 32 bit ints. See...

    Aaah ... thanks for the link, Scott.

    Cheers,
    Rob

  4. Re: Visual Studio 2005 (.NET)

    An additional question re this compiler:

    I can't find 'windows.h'. Is there something else I need to download ?
    Or does 'windows.h' simply no longer exist ?

    Cheers,
    Rob

  5. Re: Visual Studio 2005 (.NET)

    Sisyphus wrote:
    > An additional question re this compiler:
    >
    > I can't find 'windows.h'. Is there something else I need to download ?
    > Or does 'windows.h' simply no longer exist ?

    Hah! Without windows.h you can't make a window. What you have to do is
    install the SDK. If you don't have it on CD you can get it or download
    it here:

    --
    Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

  6. Re: Visual Studio 2005 (.NET)

    > Sisyphus wrote:
    >> An additional question re this compiler:
    >>
    >> I can't find 'windows.h'. Is there something else I need to download ?
    >> Or does 'windows.h' simply no longer exist ?

    > Hah! Without windows.h you can't make a window. What you have to do is
    > install the SDK. If you don't have it on CD you can get it or download it
    > here:

    Heh ... it was my original intention to download and install precisely that.
    But none of the links were working, so I decided to give VC 8 a try in the
    meantime :-)

    I've since managed to download and install that SDK - and I find that VC 8
    can indeed make use of the additional includes and libraries that it
    contains (by setting INCLUDE and LIB environment variables appropriately).

    Of course, the SDK is also a compiler in its own right - so it's doubtful
    that I'll need VC 8, anyway (but I'll keep it just in case I do).

    Thanks for the help, Scott.

    At last I'm starting to feel like I'm getting somewhere. Vista 64 (and
    probably also Vista 32) breaks MinGW. I do have a patched version of MinGW's
    gcc-3.4.5 (provided by one of the MinGW developers) which works, but I still
    don't have a functional g++ or g77. Neither VC 6 nor VC 7 will install (onto
    Vista 64) from my disks. It has been a bit of a battle ....

    Cheers,
    Rob

+ Reply to Thread