How to control a process execution? - Programmer

This is a discussion on How to control a process execution? - Programmer ; Hi There, I want to develop a small software which can control process execution as AntiVirus does. That is as soon as any process start execution/ started /executed , my software will put this process in hanging and display the ...

  1. How to control a process execution?

    Hi There,

    I want to develop a small software which can control process execution
    as AntiVirus does. That is as soon as any process start execution/
    started /executed , my software will put this process in hanging and
    display the process information on screen with option to kill it or
    allow the execution.

    I shall be thankful to you if you can help me in this.

    Thanks & Best Regards,
    Akg

  2. Re: How to control a process execution?

    Try this:

    http://www.codeguru.com/cpp/w-p/syst...cle.php/c5715/

    AliR.

    "Alok Gupta" wrote in message
    news:1169054333.007565.320350@v45g2000cwv.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi There,
    >
    > I want to develop a small software which can control process execution
    > as AntiVirus does. That is as soon as any process start execution/
    > started /executed , my software will put this process in hanging and
    > display the process information on screen with option to kill it or
    > allow the execution.
    >
    > I shall be thankful to you if you can help me in this.
    >
    > Thanks & Best Regards,
    > Akg

  3. Re: How to control a process execution?

    Alok Gupta wrote:
    > Hi There,
    >
    > I want to develop a small software which can control process execution
    > as AntiVirus does. That is as soon as any process start execution/
    > started /executed , my software will put this process in hanging and
    > display the process information on screen with option to kill it or
    > allow the execution.

    Your question is by nature application specific, and as such does not
    belong in comp.lang.c++. Note that comp.lang.c++ is removed from
    replied-to groups.

  4. Re: How to control a process execution?

    Alok Gupta wrote:
    > Hi There,
    >
    > I want to develop a small software which can control process execution
    > as AntiVirus does. That is as soon as any process start execution/
    > started /executed , my software will put this process in hanging and
    > display the process information on screen with option to kill it or
    > allow the execution.
    >
    > I shall be thankful to you if you can help me in this.

    This group discusses ISO C which has no concept of multiple processes,
    let alone controlling them. What you're trying to do is deeply OS
    specific. Post to a group that is devoted to your platform like
    comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32 or comp.unix.programmer etc.

  5. Re: How to control a process execution?

    "Alok Gupta" wrote in message
    news:1169054333.007565.320350@v45g2000cwv.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi There,
    >
    > I want to develop a small software which can control process execution
    > as AntiVirus does. That is as soon as any process start execution/
    > started /executed , my software will put this process in hanging and
    > display the process information on screen with option to kill it or
    > allow the execution.
    >
    > I shall be thankful to you if you can help me in this.

    a)First, wrong newsgroup. There is a newsgroup somewhere out there for
    Windows programming -- I think it has Win32 in the name.

    b)Second, the classic beginning reference on Windows programming (if you
    don't have it already) is the book by Charles Petzold. That may get you
    started. I don't know what is the standard recommending reading after that.

    c)Third, it is my understanding that the entire Windows API is on
    Microsoft's site. I understand the API has grown quite large over time --
    something like 3,300 different calls into the operating system are possible.
    But Microsoft's site may be of some help.

    Advice above offered without warranty.

    Most important point: wrong newsgroup!

    --
    David T. Ashley (dta@e3ft.com)
    http://www.e3ft.com (Consulting Home Page)

  6. Re: How to control a process execution?

    Alok Gupta wrote:

    > I want to develop a small software which can control process
    > execution as AntiVirus does. That is as soon as any process
    > start execution/ started /executed , my software will put this
    > process in hanging and display the process information on
    > screen with option to kill it or allow the execution.

    You are off-topic in comp.lang.*. You are also incoherent.
    Follow-ups set.

    Please observe topicality in cross-posts, and set follow-ups to a
    single news-group.

  7. Re: How to control a process execution?

    "CBFalconer" wrote in message
    > Alok Gupta wrote:

    [whatever]
    > You are off-topic in comp.lang.*. You are also incoherent.
    > Follow-ups set.
    >
    > Please observe topicality in cross-posts, and set follow-ups to a
    > single news-group.

    If OP is MS MVP, then I'm the queen of england. LS

  8. Re: How to control a process execution?

    "Lane Straatman" wrote in message

    > "CBFalconer" wrote in message
    >> Alok Gupta wrote:

    > [whatever]
    >> You are off-topic in comp.lang.*. You are also incoherent.
    >> Follow-ups set.
    >>
    >> Please observe topicality in cross-posts, and set follow-ups to a
    >> single news-group.

    > If OP is MS MVP, then I'm the queen of england. LS

    Lane your majesty, you are a comic genius.

    So the poor guy made a mistake, how is all this cross posting helping him
    understand that he shouldn't cross post. I made a mistake of hitting reply
    without looking at the newsgroup list.

    AliR.

  9. Re: How to control a process execution?

    "AliR (VC++ MVP)" wrote in message
    news:HjQrh.50348$wc5.43685@newssvr25.news.prodigy. net...
    > Lane your majesty, you are a comic genius.
    >
    > So the poor guy made a mistake, how is all this cross posting helping him
    > understand that he shouldn't cross post. I made a mistake of hitting reply
    > without looking at the newsgroup list.

    (humorless non-Windows specific newsgroups removed)

    Oh my word. While we Windows programmers work the salt mines and sweat an
    honest living by producing usable code, these bozos are sitting in their
    ivory towers eating crumpets and doing nothing other than policing cross
    postings. And dinging Microsoft with every other sentence to boot. Sheesh.

    Alok has written many useful articles on Windows and his expertise speaks
    for itself.

    Now that that's out of the way, in answer to the original question, I've
    used the MadCodeHook library to successfully hook system-wide. It takes
    care of the gory details in the article AliR referenced. Unfortunately,
    both the article and MadCodeHook require a kernel driver which may or may
    not be acceptable due to Admin rights being required.

    -- David (MVP)

+ Reply to Thread