Getting some other icons - Programmer

This is a discussion on Getting some other icons - Programmer ; I'm using Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition. When I create a Windows application it provides an icon and a small icon for me. However, they are always the same - a picture of a window. I was hoping to use ...

  1. Getting some other icons

    I'm using Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition. When I create a Windows
    application it provides an icon and a small icon for me. However, they
    are always the same - a picture of a window. I was hoping to use a
    different icon, and was wondering if there were any handily around that
    I could choose from.

    Windows XP seems to have an array of icons (eg if you try setting up a
    PIF there are a whole load of them, stored in PIFMGR.DLL). Can these
    icons be extracted easily? What would I do about getting equivalent
    small icons? Or is there another easy source of icons?

    The help for Visual C++ suggests that there is a file containing icons
    at Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\VS2005ImageLibrary\
    .. I can't find this, or anything like it - would I have to download it?
    Would I have to pay for it?

    And if this is not the right newsgroup for this sort of question, could
    you point me to a more suitable one?

    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Paul.

  2. Re: Getting some other icons

    wrote in message
    news:1168708413.053944.166970@v45g2000cwv.googlegr oups.com...
    > I'm using Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition. When I create a Windows
    > application it provides an icon and a small icon for me. However, they
    > are always the same - a picture of a window. I was hoping to use a
    > different icon, and was wondering if there were any handily around that
    > I could choose from.
    >
    > Windows XP seems to have an array of icons (eg if you try setting up a
    > PIF there are a whole load of them, stored in PIFMGR.DLL). Can these
    > icons be extracted easily? What would I do about getting equivalent
    > small icons? Or is there another easy source of icons?

    All Windowses has come with both DLL's with icon collections (PIFMGR.DLL,
    MORICONS.DLL, ...) and you can find them in lots of EXE's as wel.....

    If you want to copy icons you can do that using tools from various sources.
    There are also archives on the net.
    Personally i would never us a ready made icon in my own application --
    drawing one is a welcome pause from daily routine.

    Small icons are stored in the same icon Resource (or in a .ico file) as
    variants of the same icon. They also come in many color dimensions. And BTW,
    the "window" icon is actually a default so your app doesn't have an icon.

    To load an icon from another file you would use LoadIcon (or LoadImage). If
    you wish to use it you'll have to store the data for it. You can also use
    some icon extractor tool for that.

    > The help for Visual C++ suggests that there is a file containing icons
    > at Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\VS2005ImageLibrary\

    Maybe you didn't install it all. Check the CD or upgrade/degrade version.

    > . I can't find this, or anything like it - would I have to download it?
    > Would I have to pay for it?

    Some icons are copyrighted....

    > And if this is not the right newsgroup for this sort of question, could
    > you point me to a more suitable one?

    hmm.. check if there is a ....binary.icons ?

+ Reply to Thread