data logger project- where to start? - Programmer

This is a discussion on data logger project- where to start? - Programmer ; I want to make a simple data logger that will monitor 8 switch closures/5V logic levels. When any of the switches changes state, I want to record the time of day (to 0.01 sec. if possible) and the status of ...

  1. data logger project- where to start?

    I want to make a simple data logger that will monitor 8 switch
    closures/5V logic levels. When any of the switches changes state, I want
    to record the time of day (to 0.01 sec. if possible) and the status of all
    8 switches. I expect switches to change state no more than once every
    100ms or so.

    I am thinking this should be doable using the parallel port on a PC, and
    the PCs built-in RTC. I'd like the data to either be saved as a text file
    or have it go directly into a spreadsheet (Excel or Open Office equivalent).

    I am not much of a PC guy in either hardware or programming, but I
    can learn. Where would I start to get this sort of thing going? Can the
    programming be done within Excel or do I need something like Visual Basic,
    or is there some other code development system I'd need? I have a bunch
    of info on the parallel port, but the programming examples for accessing
    it all look like they are written in C, which I do not yet understand. I
    have programmed uCs in assembly language, so I have no problem learning to
    program things.

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks,

  2. Re: data logger project- where to start?

    fugu wrote:
    > I want to make a simple data logger that will monitor 8 switch
    > closures/5V logic levels. When any of the switches changes state, I want
    > to record the time of day (to 0.01 sec. if possible) and the status of all
    > 8 switches. I expect switches to change state no more than once every
    > 100ms or so.
    >
    > I am thinking this should be doable using the parallel port on a PC, and
    > the PCs built-in RTC. I'd like the data to either be saved as a text file
    > or have it go directly into a spreadsheet (Excel or Open Office equivalent).
    >
    > I am not much of a PC guy in either hardware or programming, but I
    > can learn. Where would I start to get this sort of thing going? Can the
    > programming be done within Excel or do I need something like Visual Basic,
    > or is there some other code development system I'd need? I have a bunch
    > of info on the parallel port, but the programming examples for accessing
    > it all look like they are written in C, which I do not yet understand. I
    > have programmed uCs in assembly language, so I have no problem learning to
    > program things.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks,

    Windows makes this a lot more difficult than it would be on a microC or
    under DOS. Windows does not permit application programs to access the
    hardware - that is reserved for device drivers. You can't write a
    device driver unless you have a year or so to learn the biz. But what
    you can do is find a device driver and make calls to it. Maybe from a
    VB program, or create a DLL in C that calls the device driver and call
    the DLL from VB.

    A good resource for you to start at would be www.lvr.com, where you can
    find a lot of info on doing parallel port I/O under Windows, including
    some freeware device drivers.

    --
    Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

  3. Re: data logger project- where to start?

    You may like to have a look at Realbasic.

    http://www.realbasic.com

    Paul

    fugu wrote:

    > I want to make a simple data logger that will monitor 8 switch
    > closures/5V logic levels. When any of the switches changes state, I want
    > to record the time of day (to 0.01 sec. if possible) and the status of all
    > 8 switches. I expect switches to change state no more than once every
    > 100ms or so.
    >
    > I am thinking this should be doable using the parallel port on a PC, and
    > the PCs built-in RTC. I'd like the data to either be saved as a text file
    > or have it go directly into a spreadsheet (Excel or Open Office equivalent).
    >
    > I am not much of a PC guy in either hardware or programming, but I
    > can learn. Where would I start to get this sort of thing going? Can the
    > programming be done within Excel or do I need something like Visual Basic,
    > or is there some other code development system I'd need? I have a bunch
    > of info on the parallel port, but the programming examples for accessing
    > it all look like they are written in C, which I do not yet understand. I
    > have programmed uCs in assembly language, so I have no problem learning to
    > program things.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks,

  4. Re: data logger project- where to start?

    > A good resource for you to start at would be www.lvr.com, where you can
    > find a lot of info on doing parallel port I/O under Windows, including
    > some freeware device drivers.

    Thanks, I'll have a look at it.