Can you have an app with a semi-transparent UI as an "overlay"? - Programmer

This is a discussion on Can you have an app with a semi-transparent UI as an "overlay"? - Programmer ; I am not a developer, but maybe you guys can give me a few hints regarding the following - research so far hasn't turned up much. - Is it possible to write a windows application (XP and higher) with a ...

  1. Can you have an app with a semi-transparent UI as an "overlay"?

    I am not a developer, but maybe you guys can give me a few hints
    regarding the following - research so far hasn't turned up much.

    - Is it possible to write a windows application (XP and higher) with a
    GUI that has a configurable degree of transparency (as seen eg in
    WinAmp) that can be set to be always "on top"

    AND (here is the tricky part)

    - where the user still can interact with the application(s) "behind"
    this one?

    In other words:

    I want to know if it is possible to write an app that simply acts as a
    half-transparent "overlay" over other applications - so it could eg
    tint part of the screen in a half-transparent red, but still allowing
    the user to interact with the application running behind this one, or
    display a half-transparent warning message without interrupting the
    user's workflow.

    Do such applications exist? I would appreciate a few hints and
    examples. If someone could tell me if/why this isn't possible, I'd
    appreciate this as well.

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Can you have an app with a semi-transparent UI as an "overlay"?

    wrote in message
    news:1160213508.823898.77590@c28g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...
    > I am not a developer, but maybe you guys can give me a few hints
    > regarding the following - research so far hasn't turned up much.
    >
    > - Is it possible to write a windows application (XP and higher) with a
    > GUI that has a configurable degree of transparency (as seen eg in
    > WinAmp) that can be set to be always "on top"
    >
    > AND (here is the tricky part)
    >
    > - where the user still can interact with the application(s) "behind"
    > this one?
    >
    > In other words:
    >
    > I want to know if it is possible to write an app that simply acts as a
    > half-transparent "overlay" over other applications - so it could eg
    > tint part of the screen in a half-transparent red, but still allowing
    > the user to interact with the application running behind this one, or
    > display a half-transparent warning message without interrupting the
    > user's workflow.

    So how do you press "Ok" in this transparent message box to get rid of it?

    [Jw]

+ Reply to Thread