Converting a file url to a windows path name. - Programmer

This is a discussion on Converting a file url to a windows path name. - Programmer ; Hi, my application receives a drag and drop event to load new files (dragging a file icon) and it receives the filename as a file:// url. Its no problem to strip the file://, or convert the /s into \s but ...

  1. Converting a file url to a windows path name.

    Hi, my application receives a drag and drop event to load new files
    (dragging a file icon) and it receives the filename as a file:// url.

    Its no problem to strip the file://, or convert the /s into \s but it
    looks like I also have to convert all the %20s into spaces.

    Is there any function I can use to do all this automatically, including
    other special % chars that might need converting?

    Thanks

    Kurt

  2. Re: Converting a file url to a windows path name.

    Nothing automatic -- but you could write something -- it would be trivial to
    convert it

    On 31 Aug 2006 08:53:51 -0700, "kza" wrote:

    >Hi, my application receives a drag and drop event to load new files
    >(dragging a file icon) and it receives the filename as a file:// url.
    >
    >Its no problem to strip the file://, or convert the /s into \s but it
    >looks like I also have to convert all the %20s into spaces.
    >
    >Is there any function I can use to do all this automatically, including
    >other special % chars that might need converting?
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Kurt

    --- AntiSpam/harvest ---
    Remove X's to send email to me.

  3. Re: Converting a file url to a windows path name.

    On 31 Aug 2006 08:53:51 -0700, "kza" wrote:
    >Its no problem to strip the file://, or convert the /s into \s...

    FWIW, you don't have to switch the slashes. Everything on the system can handle either,
    except the command prompt. I always use /, so I don't mess up on the number of \\'s I
    have to put in.

    >but it
    >looks like I also have to convert all the %20s into spaces.

    That's pretty straightforward: see the % character, get the next two hex digits and stuff
    a character. You might want to actually verify that the two characters *are* hex digits,
    and convert any nasty characters (e.g. '\', '/') into something friendly.

    --
    #include
    _

  4. Re: Converting a file url to a windows path name.

    kza wrote:
    > Hi, my application receives a drag and drop event to load new files
    > (dragging a file icon) and it receives the filename as a file:// url.
    >
    > Its no problem to strip the file://, or convert the /s into \s but it
    > looks like I also have to convert all the %20s into spaces.
    >
    > Is there any function I can use to do all this automatically, including
    > other special % chars that might need converting?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Kurt

    Look at InternetCrackUrl().

    Norm

    To reply, change domain to an adult feline.

  5. Re: Converting a file url to a windows path name.

    Thanks everyone for all your replys. I guess I could have written my
    own conversion function but I wasnt sure if it was only the file:///
    bit, the slashes and the % chars I had to convert or whether there were
    any number of extra things that might pop up in certain URLs that I
    wouldnt know in advance.

    Since I was using the Qt library in the project anyway, I used the QUrl
    object and its member functions to decode it. Turns out I still needed
    to go through and swap the slashes, I know its not always neccessary,
    but in this case, I pass the filename onto the xerces xml parser, and
    that seems to only accept the slashes around the windows way.

    Thanks for all the tips.

+ Reply to Thread